Family dominating my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfJacks

My jurisdiction is: NY, USA

:confused:

Greetings.
I own a 5 family residential building in Brooklyn, NY. The house was purchased several years ago under my mother's name. However, after several disputes and bad decisions, my mother signed a "QuitClaim Deed" and transferred the house to me. The mortgage is still under her name, but now I am the landlord. My family and I live in one of the apartments, and the other 4 apartments have tenants.

Onto my problem.
My sister, her husband, and her three children have lived in this house, rent free, with my mother and I, ever since the house was purchased. We originally hoped that everyone would live together and work together, but squabbling and fights have torn the family asunder. Things have gotten to a point where I cannot live with my sister and her family here, as she has taken over the entire apartment AND basement, whereas I have only one bedroom for all of my possessions (including any dishes and bath items I own). I pay all utilities, however the electricity bill is still in my mother's name. None of the utility bills are in my sister's name.

I know it might sound like a sob story, but I felt it was important to lay out the background, so that I could lay out my questions. I don't really know much about real estate, so unfortunately I will have to hide behind ignorance.

Is she a tenant, a roommate, a squatter?
What can I do to get her out?
Can she make any claims to the building, or can she try to get me out instead?

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, and thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back