Falsified registration sticker issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junkyard_dog

Good morning to everyone here. I've been doing some reading on here, and it seems like a good place to go with this dilemma.

Last month I found myself in a pinch with a ride to work as my main vehicle broke down. I resorted to taking my Buick, which at the time, had an expired registration (4-10). Now just like anyone else, I do not like brushes with the law, but I figured it was a one-time deal, I was going about 10 miles to work, and what are the chances that I would catch the attention of an officer? The Inspection sticker is up to date, as well as the insurance. As I was pulling out, I realized that I had an old plate in my home office that came from a vehicle I sold, and it had a valid sticker on it (9-10). So I got the sticker and transferred it to the plate on the car. ( I know, I know... :()

So, I am on my way to work... and the CAR BREAKS DOWN! I coast it off to the side of the road, into a safe, public-parking spot in a rural area near a stream that many people use for fishing.

I called work and asked that someone come get me, and I'll tow the car home tonight (company wrecker). (maybe calling for a ride in the first place would have been smarter?)

Ugh, I had to let the car sit a day as I was very busy with work and could not get to it the same day. I contacted the local police department the next morning, explaining that I would be removing the car with my wrecker that evening, in order to prevent a police-tow. An officer called me back and asked me why the registration was expired, yet still had a valid sticker on the plate. I was kinda at his mercy here, so I spilled it. My words were: "I was in a real bind and needed the car, so I took a sticker off of a canceled plate." He explained that the $36.00 sticker was cheaper than a "citation" for driving the car as it was. I agreed, apologized, and we ended the conversation. At this point, it looked as though he was looking the other way.

2 hours later, I got nervous and towed the car home.

Yesterday, I get a certified letter in the mail from the magistrates office, and a copy of the same letter sent regular mail.

Page one: "Summons for criminal case" (An order to show up for a hearing on August 27, 2010 @ 9:30 a.m.).

Page two: "Notice of Preliminary Hearing" (Charged with S-75, SS-7122 SS-1 Altered/Forged Documents).

Page three: "Fingerprint order" (I gotta drive to the county courthouse prior to the hearing and pay $125.00 for fingerprinting).

Page four: Instructions for fingerprint order.

Page five through seven: "Police criminal complaint"

Page eight: "Affidavit of probable cause"

Now, I know that this is charged up to be a Class B misdemeanor in my state, and I know that I did something wrong. However for some reason I can't understand why all the fuss? I read a story about a guy who was stopped not too long ago driving a car which had a falsified inspection sticker attached to it. The officer took the sticker, and gave him a citation. Told him the next time he sees the car, he wants to see it re-inspected legally. Case closed.

In my case, the officer left the plate and the sticker affixed to the car.

The officer never "stopped" my vehicle and obviously;

The officer never saw the car in motion on any public highway/roadway.

I never openly admitted to actually operating the vehicle with the bad sticker.

I do have a prior record. However it is not felony, and the conviction was back in 2002, in which I spent 2 years on County probation in a DIFFERENT county. After that, I moved to the place I am at now, and kept my nose completely clean besides this.

I have a clean driving record, and I am a commissioned Notary Public for the state (NON-DMV), which I am in a lot of fear of losing if I am convicted of this.

I applied for the help of the County Public Defender immediately, and left a phone message for (from what I hear) the best criminal defense attorney in the county. I am awaiting calls back on both.

Can anyone shed some light on where I can proceed with this? Should I be looking to have the charges lessened? Please help. :confused:

You didn't have to actually be stopped, and the officer didn't have to see the car in motion. If it was parked in a public parking lot or parked along a public road it was fair game.
Your statement to the officer admitting that you purposely switched the tags is why you now have this mess. You couldn't have made it much easier for them.

Don't worry about your prior record. It won't factor in to this.

Chances are that if you pay up the past due fees and get your car registered properly before going to court, the charge just might get dismissed. It was only a couple months expired. Maybe a different situation if you were driving something around that is several years expired.

Don't get too stressed out here.

Even though it is a

misdemeanor "B", My prior record wont factor? That seems odd...

Although this IS my fist infraction of ANY kind in this district...

I know I made it easy, but the cop said: "How did the wrong sticker make it onto the plate?"

I was kinda held over the barrel on that one. :(

Junkyard dog said:
misdemeanor "B", My prior record wont factor? That seems odd...

Although this IS my fist infraction of ANY kind in this district...

I know I made it easy, but the cop said: "How did the wrong sticker make it onto the plate?"

I was kinda held over the barrel on that one. :(

No, you weren't tricked, you did as most people do. You talked too much. A better answer would have been to say, "I don't know."

You nailed it when you said, you should have done something else in the first place. This will be an expensive lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expensive lesson indeed.

Ok, so I talked to whom I was told was the "best criminal defense attorney in the county".

$700.00 to retain him for the preliminary. I legalized the car, showed up for court and the lawyer had the charge dropped down to a summary "disorderly conduct" citation.

So...

It cost me about $1100.00 plus time off of work, 2 trips to Pottsville (30 miles away), PLUS the $36.00 registration sticker that I should have just purchased in the first place. :mad:

The one other positive is that the judge ruled that the fingerprint order be withdrawn as long as I pay the fine off by the 13th (saves me $150.00, plus another half-day of work).

I can only blame myself. I made a stupid STUPID mistake that I learned a very expensive lesson with. Thanks for all of your insight.

Knowledge is power and freedom. Now you know. I'm happy things got better for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back