Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Falsely accused and name being slandered

falselyaccused

I was falsely accused by a close friend of my roommate for vandalizing her vehicle. She filed a report with the police department. In the report she stated that two of her neighbors witness me vandalizing her property. When I was read the report she stated that the two neighbors told her my name and that it was me. I dont even know where she lives or any people around her. She contacted my roommate who is an officer of the law. When I arrived home, he stated that the police department reported to him that charges had been filed against me and that they had video tape and witnesses. I went to the police station to see what was going on and the desk clerk read me the report that was filed. On the report it didnt state anything about her having any evidence. I was told it would take about three days for a detective to assigned to the report. The next my roommate informed me that a detective had contacted him. He claims to have given them employment information and phone number. No one ever contacted me. After about five days he came to me and said that she if I paid her restution of 300.00 she dropped the charges. As far as I know; no charges where filed, it was just a report. Is it correct that another police department would have contacted him first instead of me? If a person claims to have evidence shouldnt that have been mentioned when the report was made and wouldnt a warrant have been issued that next day? My roommate stated that the witnesses sighted me out of a lineup. I dont understand how that could be since I have never been arrested and had a mugshot taken .

You have a drivers license picture, and I'm sure the alleged victim had a picture or two of you.
Face it, bud, they gotcha this time.

You don't get the evidence now, you get it at the trial and or as part of discovery leading up to the trial. Even if the DA does not cite you for criminal charges, you can still be sued civilly.

I didnt do it. I dont know or care to know where she lives. She is his friend. He goes over to her house. Around the time it was said to have happened I was in bed intoxicated. He and I had been drinking. Yet why would everyone contact him and no one has contacted me. Plus the picure on my drivers license is from I was 250 lbs overweight.

You don't get the evidence now, you get it at the trial and or as part of discovery leading up to the trial. Even if the DA does not cite you for criminal charges, you can still be sued civilly.

What I really want to know is why did the police station contact my roommate and as he stated " it was reported to me today by the _____police station that you have been charged with a criminal mischief class b misdemeanor. " I went up to the station to see what was going on, I was told no charges where filed, just a report taken over the phone and that it would take 3 days to be assigned to a detective, yet at 830am the next morning he claims to have gotten a call from the detective assigned to case and the he gave them my number and that the detective would be calling me in 5-10 mins for the charge of a class a misdemeanor. See he even changed the class type. Then he proceeded to tell me that I would be arrested and have to spend a year in jail. This was on a Wednesday. The whole weekend he kept telling the story and changing details to everyone. Then Monday morning around 630am he comes and tells me that she will drop charges if i pay her 300.00

People mouth off all the time. This guy doesn't know anything about how much time you would spend in jail if any. Sounds like a scam to get you to pony up $300.00. If you didn't do it, ignore the guy and wait and see what(if anything) you hear directly from the police. "why would everyone contact him and not you?" We don't know. Are you sure they did? Sounds like he likes to make things up.

Your roommate is lying or misunderstood something. If you never get charged personally, there is no case. For criminal cases the police would handle it. If the owner of the car files a civil suit, you would be served with papers by a means approved for the type of case. The victim can not force criminal charges to be dropped, but can cancel a civil suit. Personally, I'd wait to see if anything ever gets filed. And no, for vandalizing a car you aren't going to get a year in jail right off the bat. You might be arrested and charged and either released awaiting trial or having to pay bail (unlikely).

People mouth off all the time. This guy doesn't know anything about how much time you would spend in jail if any. Sounds like a scam to get you to pony up $300.00. If you didn't do it, ignore the guy and wait and see what(if anything) you hear directly from the police. "why would everyone contact him and not you?" We don't know. Are you sure they did? Sounds like he likes to make things up.

Thank you. I figured that because he is a cop then thats why they contacted him all the time and not me.

Your roommate is lying or misunderstood something. If you never get charged personally, there is no case. For criminal cases the police would handle it. If the owner of the car files a civil suit, you would be served with papers by a means approved for the type of case. The victim can not force criminal charges to be dropped, but can cancel a civil suit. Personally, I'd wait to see if anything ever gets filed. And no, for vandalizing a car you aren't going to get a year in jail right off the bat. You might be arrested and charged and either released awaiting trial or having to pay bail (unlikely).

Thank you. I figured that since he was a cop maybe that was why they were contacting him. I purposely ran a stop sign so that my plates and license could be ran. Came back clear. I know that was dumb, but I explained why and he laughed and said that was the crazy thing he every heard for running a stop sign. No ticket given...

Not to mention the charge might not have come up anyway when running your plates. A civil suit would not. Criminal wouldn't automatically at this stage either.

Back