Other Criminal Charges & Offenses FalseInformation,

Sheezycapz

Jurisdiction
Australia
Hello there, my sister was recently charged with assault and she got taken into custody and put in jail. She is 20 yrs old and has a small history of assault which is due to her drinking problem. The day after her sentencing I read in the news paper that they had put in a news report about her with a Facebook photo and a column degrading her and which I believe is mislead information. I am very hurt that it was out there for the world to see. In the news report is said that she had limited education and she was u employed and they had her age and full name. I do not know if this is a breach of privacy but I am sickened. Is there any possible case with this??

If she doesn't want bad publicity, she shouldn't commit criminal acts. Beyond that, this is a forum for U.S. legal issues, and she is free to consult with her defense attorney about whether the news report in question violated any of her rights.

It sounds like you are asking us,whether or not,your sister has a civil claim for "breach of privacy,"and if so,I would say within the context of a criminal conviction,she most certainly does not.Indictments,arrests of criminal suspects,and even particular people sought in connection with criminal activities are in the newspapers thousands of times each day in this country,and raises no cause for any civil claims.what's more,as long as all the information is factually correct,there is no cause for "libel" either.
Feel free to consult with an Attorney,but I don't see any valid issue here,other than your hurt and offended by the publicity of your sister.

Back