False allegations by wife's friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenY

I am an officer in a city fire department. I have never had a "negative" letter in my personnel file and I have been in the service for 24 years. I am elgible to retire in 3 years.
I filed for divorce in 8/03 after hiring a detective check on my wife and finding out about her new choice of lifestyle. My wife's "best female friend" called my work and made 4 false allegations about me including that I had given my wife drugs in order to have her videotaped performing unnormally. I had to undergo an embarrassing hearing about the accusations. I worry that the accusations will possibly cause me a loss of promotion in the future and inability to get certain jobs after retirement. The city manager was contacted by this person and the accusations were made verbally although they were presented to me in written form and these are included in my file. The state law does not allow these allegations to ever be removed from my file even though my current employer believes me that they are false.
I have found that my wife did not know of her friends actions until after she had called my work.
The same female has called my 14 year old son and told him the same thing. What recourse do you feel I have?
I believe that the situation has led to physical difficulties for myself including the inability to sleep, nervousness, irratibility, and others.

I would take her to court, especially if you have proof that she made these statements and they are false. I would probably bring this up in the divorce proceedings as well and let your ex-wife explain how this could have happened. Regardless, it will affect any settlement she can receive from you.

What you have not stated is whether the charges your wife's best friend said were true (and I think I understand where you are going in terms of their friendship.) Not that you couldn't sue her for intent to cause emotional distress, but that would diminish your potential recovery against her.

Additionally, you should also take into account (1) whether the friend has money that could be seized to compensate you if you win, (2) how much damages you have or will suffer that would make the case worth pursuing in a venue other than small claims court. Note that this is the kind of case that, unless it is slam dunk with a defendant with deeper pockets, that you might have to finance yourself and not one an attorney might take on contingency.

Originally posted by Ken Y.
I am an officer in a city fire department. I have never had a "negative" letter in my personnel file and I have been in the service for 24 years. I am elgible to retire in 3 years.
I filed for divorce in 8/03 after hiring a detective check on my wife and finding out about her new choice of lifestyle. My wife's "best female friend" called my work and made 4 false allegations about me including that I had given my wife drugs in order to have her videotaped performing unnormally. I had to undergo an embarrassing hearing about the accusations. I worry that the accusations will possibly cause me a loss of promotion in the future and inability to get certain jobs after retirement. The city manager was contacted by this person and the accusations were made verbally although they were presented to me in written form and these are included in my file. The state law does not allow these allegations to ever be removed from my file even though my current employer believes me that they are false.
I have found that my wife did not know of her friends actions until after she had called my work.
The same female has called my 14 year old son and told him the same thing. What recourse do you feel I have?
I believe that the situation has led to physical difficulties for myself including the inability to sleep, nervousness, irratibility, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back