Faking your own death

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmekka

I know faking your own death is illegal, but can you be convicted of faking your own death after 7 years? Someone said that 7 years after faking your own death, you have not been convicted, then you can't be convicted.

I think that it depends upon the statute of limitations for prosecution. I don't know what state you are in and what applicable statute, but you should be aware of the fact that many statutes of limitations have clauses that allow for a "tolling" of the statute in cetain circumstances. Some of those circumstances include when the victim could not have known about the injury and the statute for prosecution begins from the date that the victim should have known about the injury.

i heard something about it actually being legal to fake your death if you've had 2 or more threats towards your life. Can anyone give more info on this?

I'd love to see more information about this statute, although I would be highly suspect that there exists a specific law that allows one to fake their own death if there were threats on one's life. I'm sure that such a "fake" would involve the authorities. I cannot imagine that there would be no consequences for conduct that compels our police to become involved and use its limited resources in a serious investigation for a matter that is deliberately faked. I can only wonder how that will affect the eventual claim for life insurance and the question of why the beneficiary wouldn't pursue it....

curious person

As far as faking your own death, what exactly are the legal consequeces, jail time? Fines? If there is a case in this incident that you are aware of, for factual support, I would love to read about it.

Guess

As far as the faking of death per se, I have no real knowledge of such law. Thus, any data in relation to its consequences are merely thoughts, not definite.
If the faking of death is purposely made for something illicit or illegal, liability will all depend on what kind of illegal activity was engaged.
Guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back