Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Fake ID Manufacturing Legality Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

imu34

I have some very specific questions about the legal issues behind making fake id's.

First, the possession of materials and tools used in making fake ids. Things such as template files on the computer, cutters, laminators, hologram pouches, and special papers. Is someone allowed to possess these items in their home?

Second, the sale of fake id's. Obviously this is illegal, but is there a way to make them "novelty" id's, possibly by using a sticker saying "for novelty use, not a government document, etc"?

Third, would a disclaimer type document citing the fact that the id being sold is not a govt document, that the id is to be used for novelty and entertainment only, etc that would be signed by the purchaser release the seller from liability and/or criminal activity? A loophole of any kind, really, that will let customers know that the intent is for novelty only and that the seller is only selling under that condition.

Lastly, what kind of fines, jail times, etc are there for the manufacture and sale of fake id's?

Penalties for using or possessing fake identification varies from state to state.

You can keep all the items you list below in your house as they can be used for many purposes. However, I'll caution you in stating that one might get the idea that the "for entertainment purposes only" tag you may put on some is merely window dressing to commit illegal activities. Money is duplicated all the time in "one million dollar" notes but the appearance, while similar, is not only obviously fake but it also bears such a stamp. If you are thinking of creating IDs that look quite similar for purposes of it fooling people most of the time but containing a little entertainment purposes stamp, then I'd tell you to weigh the risk and decide for yourself whether it's worth the gamble. There is a good reason why manufacturers err on the side of caution. Think about the first bartender who confiscates one of your IDs and what will happen as a result... do you think a judge or law enforcement officer will be "entertained?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back