Failure to Appear from 2004

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hi,
I'm trying to help my mom get her driver's license reinstated but I'm having trouble. We have paid her surcharges through the MSB and the reinstatement fee through the DPS office, but she has a failure to appear still pending from 2004. No warrant was ever issued, or else it would've been taken care of because of the indigency program. Do I (or she, rather) have a case for dismissal?

Probably not. She'll have to go to that court and find out what she has to do to get that FTA cleared. My guess is she'll pay the fine plus accrued interest. My son's FTA went from about $150 to $350 in only a few years. A 14 year old arrears might take a big chunk of dollars.

Hi,
I'm trying to help my mom get her driver's license reinstated but I'm having trouble. We have paid her surcharges through the MSB and the reinstatement fee through the DPS office, but she has a failure to appear still pending from 2004. No warrant was ever issued, or else it would've been taken care of because of the indigency program. Do I (or she, rather) have a case for dismissal?

A person's limited finances have no bearing on the court ordered fines, fees, costs being reduced.

The court will arrange a payment program, but that won't reduce the person's mandated fines, fees, costs.

Your mother should contact the clerk of the court and request a copy of the judgment indicating how much she now owes the court and how she can take care of the matter.

Any DMV office will help her with the information that is blocking her ability to receive a valid driver's license.

In many cases paying the money due won't automatically restore her driving privilege.

Many people after clearing the balance owed must wait in what I call the penalty box for a specified time to pass before applying for a drivers license.

Well, update time - we went to the judge's office and the ladies were very helpful. They said we must pay the amount in full. They did offer us something called a paupers's oath to sign, stating that she had no job and couldnt pay, a long with 48 hours of community service, which sounded great! Except for the fact that they would only let you serve those hours at one specific place for 3 hours at a time. PLUS, she didn't have a license or car, so she couldn't drive herself to and from. Luckily, she did get a job shortly thereafter and we were able to pay the fines off completely, and she has her license, an insured car, registered and inspected, and is legally driving herself back and forth to work.

Can I get an amen?!

Thanks all

Back