1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Exvict Ex-Girlfriend from Home with name on the Deed?

Discussion in 'Joint Ownership' started by SpartaLady, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpartaLady

SpartaLady Law Topic Starter New Member

Is there a way to evict an ex-girlfriend from my home? Her name is on the deed. She contributes nothing to the mortgage which is in my name. I have have been solely responsible for the payment of this mortgage for 7 years. She is a heavy smoker and has a cat that is destroying the home. We have lived as roommates the entire 7 years since the home has been built. There is no longer a relationship between the two of us. We barely speak unless it is to argue. I need to get this taken care of in the simplest way possible.

2. KatDini

KatDini Well-Known Member

You can't evict her, she's co-owner, as far as the State cares. You'll have to file a partition suit. For that, you'll need to consult a local real estate attorney.

You can read the Michigan statutes about partition here.

army judge likes this.
  3. disagreeable

disagreeable Well-Known Member

I suggest you buy her out for her interest in the property and right to live there.

Disabled Vet likes this.