Corporate Law Extortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dminond

Hi,
I aplogize if this isn't posted in the correct location, this seemed the closest to what i needed.
This is the situation:
At my school (high school in NJ), we are required by school rules to wear ID cards. Previous to a recent bomb threat, students were allowed to wear teacher-issued temporary identification stickers should they forget the ID cards at home. However, the temporary identification stickers are no longer considered valid by the administration and any student who has forgotten his/her ID card is required to purchase a new one for $4, no exceptions. This $4 is nonrefundable and if a student does not pay, the school withholds report cards and in extreme cases diplomas.

What I wanted to know is if this constituted extortion in any sense, as the administration is requiring us to pay money for ID cards, at the threat of withholding report cards or other important items. Would this be considered a threat against reputation / livelihood?

thanks in advance,
dorian.

Q: What I wanted to know is if this constituted extortion in any sense, as the administration is requiring us to pay money for ID cards, at the threat of withholding report cards or other important items. Would this be considered a threat against reputation / livelihood?

A: What you have described is perfectly legal and, in fact, makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back