Extended warranty scam

mallaz

Jurisdiction
New York
I recently purchased a used vehicle which has a manufacturer warranty, this information was never disclosed to me by the dealer, instead I was sold an extended warranty which mirrors the manufacturer's warranty, is this fraud and should do I have a strong case for a full reimbursement of the amount paid for the extended warranty?

You're not providing enough details.

Plenty of people buy NEW cars with warranties and STILL purchase an extended warranty.

I don't know what you mean exactly by "mirrors". It may be identical but extend the period of coverage.

Thanks for the reply, to be more clearly, the car turns out to be a certified pre owned car (2014) with a manufacturer warranty for the next 17months or 36000 miles whichever comes first,after which I will have another 24000 miles or two years warranty since it's a certified pre owned car, all this information given to by the manufacturer, the dealer never revealed this information to at the time of sale,instead he added an extended warranty for 2yrs or 50000 miles from the date of sale that increased my payment monthly, the car sold to me with just about 17156 miles

The dealer's job is to sell you stuff.

Your job is to know what you are getting into before you get into it.

You could have said no.

You could have done your homework and figured it out.

You could have read your purchase contract.

You could have checked manufacturer's warranty online before buying anything.

The dealer's job is to sell you stuff.

Your job is to know what you are getting into before you get into it.

You could have said no.

You could have done your homework and figured it out.

You could have read your purchase contract.

You could have checked manufacturer's warranty online before buying anything.

I asked the question because I wanted to know if what they did was fraud, my ignorance when it comes to car buying is evident, just need to know if withholding information such as that is fraudulent or not

New cars don't even have warranties like that so it's hard to believe that a used one does, regardless of whether it is "certified".

My guess is you misunderstood something.

As I recall, warranty information is clearly displayed on the window sticker.

I asked the question because I wanted to know if what they did was fraud, my ignorance when it comes to car buying is evident, just need to know if withholding information such as that is fraudulent or not

As long as no one held a gun to your head, forcing you to sign or die, you have only yourself to blame.

When I bought cars under a lending agreement in the past, I always said NO, and kept saying NO to anything other than the car.

Today, I still say NO to anything the dealer tries to sell me, occasionally saying, "Offer to sell me anything other than the car at the agreed upon price, and I'll walk outta here right now!"

That ends the last minute, high pressure sales pitches.

New cars don't even have warranties like that so it's hard to believe that a used one does, regardless of whether it is "certified".

My guess is you misunderstood something.

As I recall, warranty information is clearly displayed on the window sticker.

A dealership can pay a very small amount and have a used car certified. Of course this cost is passed to the customer. Then the maker of said auto backs the car/truck for a limited time frame. It's out there.... :)

OP, check your paperwork on the extended warranty. Some have a clause that if you cancel the policy you get X back depending on how much time is left on the warranty.

The extended warranty will usually cover items in addition to the factory and/or certified warranty. If you don't want it you can cancel.

Back