Criminal Records, Expungement Expungement - a Costly and Useless process ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunno

Thank you for your attention to my inquiry. These are fairly simple questions.

What is the purpose of the expungment process? Why expunge a misdeamenor, a felony in California or really in any other state? How would it help, what can it really do when these parasitic data-mining companies on the internet SELLING "public information" are not legally obligated to update their database - meaning that if the record is expunged all the information will still SHOW up in it's originals state without any reflection of expungment or indication of a dismissal. How can these companies be profiting from misrepresented public record and have no accountability or repercussions as a result?! They are basically making this legal procedure void as the information is still very public, and even more available. Since it's very expensive to expunge and so cheap to buy, I say this legal process will soon become history....along with the many dreams & apirations of the forever condemned. So again what does expunging a record accomplish ?

Expungement may serve in some cases to reinstate some civil rights.

Enlighten us as to exactly what happened. It may help others in some way. Also maybe you can report these companies to the state attorney general's office by filing a complaint. If you know of others it has happened to, have them file complaints as well. If it cost you getting a job, state in your complaint your monetary loss. Also, write the company and let them know you have filed a complaint. Be proactive and maybe while helping yourself you will help others.

Thank you for your concerned response calalily. What is basically happening is what i had stated ~ these background checking companies on the internet are not legally obligated to update their information. There are hundreds and more of these type of companies that sell public records - just type out background check on google and you'll see. What is very insidious about it is a candidate doesn't stand a chance to even get to a face to face interview since the information is so cheap and easily available. It is basically destroying many careers, livlihoods and this is just with a misdemeanor. Felony - forget about getting a job - wonder what option that leaves the person? (Are there any incentive programs to hire felones) Is writing the attorney general's office the only possibility because this market is huge. I am stunned that nothing, noone has addressed it or anything. Just how does the expungment process work? How do these parasites get the information? Someone's making money besides those internet parasites, and I'm not getting a good feeling on this...... WHat the heck is going on?
FYI: A public defender told me about the datamining companies not updating their database, so this scenerio is real and growing bigger. I am at lost. HELP Help help help

dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back