Criminal Records, Expungement Expunged case- visas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonetomato

Hello all-

I realize this forum is for US law, but I was hoping if anyone had any experience/information in this vein they could share.

I was arrested for a misdemeanor offense but completed a pre-trial diversion program and the charges were dropped (no conviction, obviously). I later had the case expunged.

I have read that in many cases, countries will demand that you disclose information about cases which have been expunged, because it was only expunged under US law and the country may have different standards. My questions:

1. Do I really have to admit to it?
2. I know that there are certain occupations that have the right to "see" that there is a record when they do a check- bar, medical, teacher, etc. Under US law, do foreign countries have a similar right?
3. I am about to finish an undergraduate degree, and I want to apply to graduate school abroad (most likely in Canada.) Even if I disclose it, am I likely to be denied a student visa considering the fact that I wasn't convicted? Again, I know this is for the US but I thought maybe someone might have had some experience with something similar. I'm confused because most of the countries I've researched state something along the lines of: a "conviction" makes a person inadmissable, but then list as a requirement a police certificate or background check certifying "no criminal record." Obviously it's possible for someone to have a criminal record without a conviction!

Anyways- thank you in advance for any information you might be able to provide!

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back