Exhibition of speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy2004

I was possibly paced by an officer coming out of a bar. As I was sitting at a red light i decided to accelerate with aggression when it turned green. I have a V8 car 5 speed which was pretty new. I either revved the rpm's to high or let out the clutch too fast. anway, the car spun the back tires until i got it into 2nd gear, about 15mph. That is when the police pulled in from my right side and made me pull over. The car did not lose control or slide to the side. I had had 2 beers that night and when the officer asked me what i had been drinking i admitted to the 2 beers. i was then given a field sobriety test which I passed. He then informed me i didn't seem intoxicated so i thought "whew". it was then he told me he would have my car impounded. When i asked him what for he went back to his car and came back 20 minutes with a ticket that had reckless driving and exhibition of speed. 2 misdemeanors on one ticket. He then asked if my traction control was on which it wasn't..this means if it had been on then the computer in the car would stop me from spinning my wheels. He also noted that it was a 5 speed. He then told me he was joking about impounding my car and i was free to go. I showed up in court on the day i was meant to and D.A said they had it filed but they were still considering what charges to bring against me. My ticket was then stamped by the clerk and the assistant D.A to prove I had shown up. 1 week later i get a letter in the mail charging me with # 23109c Exhibiton of speed. Up to 90 days in jail!! i now have a lawyer but was wondering if the D.A would rather deal than go to trial. Also, if found guilty in a trial will the punishment be more severe than if i had just avoided a trial in the first place. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Exhibition of speed is a very serious charge. You did the right thing by retaining an attorney. Anything on this forum is not legal advice. You need to ask your attorney any questions that you might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back