Executor accessing bank account

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonimh

My mother passed away in June 2005 after a long illness. During the past two years of her life she lived with me (daughter) gave me power of attorney to do her banking, pay bills, or whatever needed to be done if she could not. During this time I quit my job and took care of her full time, and in return she helped pay my bills in order for me to do that. Before she passed away she told me that if anything happened to her to please take the money out of her account. The day before she passed away I did that and transferred it to my own account. My mother's wish was that I have what was left in her account. I did not know until later she had set up her account as a joint account. I am told that in that case there is the "right of survivorship" law whereas that money is legally mine...period. The executor of her estate happens to be my aunt, and she claims I need to turn it over to the estate. Otherwise someone may come after me for it, freeze my account, take me to court to get it, or as executor, she may be able to go to my bank and withdraw it herself as executor of the estate. I have heard several conflicting opinions on this, and sure would appreciate a little clarity on this issue as I need to know what I can do at this point to protect it, or at least prepare myself for any of those possibilities. Thanks :confused:

Death and joint bank account

I should have mentioned that I did know I was on my mom's account, but thought it only as a signer. It was later I found out from the bank it was indeed a joint account.
My aunt is executor of my mom's account, and she talked to the attorney about the money I now have in my own account, and he is in the process of looking up Alaska statutes hoping to find a way to take that money from me to put into the estate account.
There is a whole lot of property to sell, plus my mom's house, and some balloon payments coming due this October from property my mother sold before. I would assume all debts would be paid from the money that will be coming in, plus a huge amount left over after debts. What are the chances my account might be at the least frozen? I think by Alaska law it is safe, but some little doubt is lingering. I do not want to find one day I have no access to my account, so if anyone can give me a little insight I would so much appreciate it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back