Excessive damage to apt. caused by rommmate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparhawk

One year ago I signed a lease after moving into an already occupied apartment in Raleigh, NC. Little did I know what I was getting myself into..After just moving out I received a call from the apartment complex telling me there were extensive damages to the apartment beyond what the security deposit would cover. The damages included pet stains that soaked through into the floor and walls, a room that was painted, a broken table and trash left behind in apartment, a mess of kitty litter left in the one closet, and more pet-related damages I am forgetting. I caused NONE of these damages. My roommate had the pets, illegally I might add since the apartment complex was not aware, she painted the room, and she left all the trash behind. She was also in the apt. for at least three years, while I was only on the lease for one year. Apparently there have been at least five people on the lease since the apt. was first rented, but since I am one of the last two I am held accountable for half the damages.

Can someone please tell me if I have any recourse here with my ex-roommate or with the apartment complex? Could I attempt to take her to small claims court since all damages were caused by her and she had not even informed the office of having pets? Can I ask the office to pro-rate or reduce my share of the damages since she was on the lease three times as long as me? Finally, it seems she is stiffing me on her half of the final electric bill which amounts to $100 so I wouldn't mind trying to recover that as well.

Thank you. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back