Cleaning, Repairs excessive cleaning/repair fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlejua

My parents moved out of a house that they had been renting for 4yrs. They always paid rent early by 2 days. My mother's had surgery 2 months before they had to move. They gave the landlord notice 1 month that they where moving out. Because my mom was unable to do any cleaning, a couple of my friends and I had done it. I had carpets professionally cleaned and there was no garbage left behind. 10 days later my parents got a bill for 1098.00, 748.after deposit was taken off. Most of the bill was for cleaning that they had professionally done $200, plus the cost of them cleaning at $26hr for 6 1/2hrs. Other fee of new counter top for 250 because there was a burn mark on it. The counter top was not "new" when they moved in. A fee of $72 for lawn maintenance. My parents moved in December it was either frozen out or raining there was no way they could do anything. I mentioned to the landlords about having the carpet professionally cleaned, her response was there was a $100 non refundable fee for that and I should not had done it. She will not reimburse me. They make it out like my parents trashed the house, they are 68 and 70 yrs old. I feel they are trying to take advantage of my parents. What do I do next?

Last edited:
My parents moved out of a house that they had been renting for 4yrs. They always paid rent early by 2 days. My mother's had surgery 2 months before they had to move. They gave the landlord notice 1 month that they where moving out. Because my mom was unable to do any cleaning, a couple of my friends and I had done it. I had carpets professionally cleaned and there was no garbage left behind. 10 days later my parents got a bill for 1098.00, 748.after deposit was taken off. Most of the bill was for cleaning that they had professionally done $200, plus the cost of them cleaning at $26hr for 6 1/2hrs. Other fee of new counter top for 250 because there was a burn mark on it. The counter top was not "new" when they moved in. A fee of $72 for lawn maintenance. My parents moved in December it was either frozen out or raining there was no way they could do anything. I mentioned to the landlords about having the carpet professionally cleaned, her response was there was a $100 non refundable fee for that and I should not had done it. She will not reimburse me. They make it out like my parents trashed the house, they are 68 and 70 yrs old. I feel they are trying to take advantage of my parents. What do I do next?

You can't do anything.
You weren't a party to their lease.
Legally the landlord isn't required to even respond to you.
Your parents can write a letter requesting an explanation of all charges and fees.
In the letter your parents can request a full refund.
The LL will likely ignore the letter, or deny the request.
The issues of notice, rent, etc.. aren't in question.

Okay, read these links:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.280

http://apartments.about.com/od/washington/qt/Washington-Security-Deposits-Faq.htm

http://www.landlordology.com/washington-landlord-tenant-laws/

This might help you:

Require Written/Signed Move-In Checklist: No deposit may be collected by a landlord unless the rental agreement is in writing and a written checklist or statement specifically describing the condition and cleanliness of or existing damages to the premises and furnishings, including, but not limited to, walls, floors, countertops, carpets, drapes, furniture, and appliances, is provided by the landlord to the tenant at the commencement of the tenancy. The checklist or statement shall be signed and dated by the landlord and the tenant, and the tenant shall be provided with a copy of the signed checklist or statement. (RCW §§ 59.18.260)

Require Itemized List of Damages and Charges: Yes (RCW §§ 59.18.280)

Bottom line, if the landlord still insists he or she is right, your parents will have to file a small claims lawsuit to seek redress.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back