excessive charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosewen

Hi all, I have a pretty lousy situation here and I'm seeking some helpful advice. Here's the story, its a long one: I moved out of an apartment complex at the end of March. The management there called me shortly afterwards saying that they had to replace the carpet in the apartment and that we would be billed for what our security deposit didn't cover. Well, I knew that the carpet in the living room wasn't in pristine condition since my roomates and I spent 90% of our time in there, and it acted as an office as well. (it was a tiny apartment) Sadly, we discovered that our lease doesn't have a "wear and tear" clause and that since the carpet was new when we moved in two years prior, we had to leave it like new. So I begudgingly conceed that we have to pay for the living room.
However, they also replaced the carpet in the bedrooms as well as the hallway connecting the bedrooms to the living room. These carpets were in pristine condition and did not need to be replaced, yet we were charged for them as well.
So in April, we recieved the invoice which said that if we have any questions or feel that the charges were incorrect that we should send them a LETTER, and they would reply in a timely manner. So we did so, asking why we were being charged for repairs that were essentially unnecessary. That was the second week of April.
So, in a nutshell do they have a right to charge me for replacing things that weren't damaged in the first place and do they have any right to not answer my questions about the bill? Thanks so much for bearing with me, and any advice is much appreciated! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back