Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Exceptions to SOL PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank28

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
So I just would like to know that I see PA has an exception to the SOL, which is

42 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5552 Other offenses (c.1 Genetic identification evidence):
  • (c.1) If evidence of a misdemeanor sexual offense set forth in 42 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5552(c)(3) or a felony offense is obtained containing DNA, and that DNA is subsequently used to identify an otherwise unidentified individual as the perpetrator of the offense, the prosecution may be commenced within the period of limitations provided for that offense, or one year after the identity of the individual is determined, whichever occurs later
So if this was a sexual assault among two adults does the victim still have to report the crime within the SOL which is 12 years in PA and if they do not know who the perpetrator is if they find out after the SOL has passed the DA has one year to prosecute or does this mean if the victim say had a rape kit done and did not know who the perpetrator was but never reported the incident within the SOL can they still report it after the SOL has passed. Basically what im asking is no matter what does the actual incident have to be reported within the SOL for any prosecution to take place.

So if this was a sexual assault among two adults does the victim still have to report the crime within the SOL which is 12 years in PA and if they do not know who the perpetrator is if they find out after the SOL has passed the DA has one year to prosecute or does this mean if the victim say had a rape kit done and did not know who the perpetrator was but never reported the incident within the SOL can they still report it after the SOL has passed

Do you remember this guy and the victim he was convicted of raping?

CONVICTED_Constrand_Cosby.jpg

The story of The "COS" and the "CON" in YOUR state reveals all anyone would ever want to KNOW about the SOL and certain sexually aggressive and intrusive criminal offenses.

restrain yourself, Chauncey, keep that thing away from any unwilling "target"!

Behave your naughty self.

These days the DNA doesn't just speak, it SCREAMS who DUNNIT!

first off i never commited a crime or have been convicted of a crime in my life and second that does not answer my question. i know all about that cosby trial and the case was reopened days before the SOL expired

all im saying is does the crime have to be reported before the sol expires

Last edited by a moderator:
first off i never commited a crime or have been convicted of a crime in my life and second that does not answer my question. i know all about that cosby trial and the case was reopened days before the SOL expired
Then why are you here?

does the victim still have to report the crime within the SOL

Anyone may report anything no matter how much time has passed. A statute of limitations is a law that limits how long after the commission of a crime the prosecutor has to initiate prosecution. It has nothing to do with reporting crimes.

I couldn't really follow the rest of that crazy long run on sentence in your post. If there's more that you're asking about, please explain.

Anyone may report anything no matter how much time has passed. A statute of limitations is a law that limits how long after the commission of a crime the prosecutor has to initiate prosecution. It has nothing to do with reporting crimes.

I couldn't really follow the rest of that crazy long run on sentence in your post. If there's more that you're asking about, please explain.
well i guess really what i am asking is if someone that knows who assaulted them had a rape kit done can they still prosecute after the SOL has passed if they have the rape kit because of the dna exception.

if someone that knows who assaulted them had a rape kit done can they still prosecute after the SOL has passed if they have the rape kit because of the dna exception.

According to the law that you quoted (I assume it was a quote and have not independently looked it up), if evidence of a misdemeanor sexual offense set forth in 42 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5552(c)(3) or a felony offense is obtained containing DNA, and that DNA is subsequently used to identify an otherwise unidentified individual as the perpetrator of the offense, the prosecution may be commenced within the period of limitations provided for that offense, or one year after the identity of the individual is determined, whichever occurs later.

In other words, if new DNA evidence identifies a previously unknown perpetrator, the prosecution gets at least a year after such identification to initiate prosecution, even if the applicable SOL had previously expired.

i opened a ticket a week ago and not had one single response to my ticket could someone please explain why no one has even responded yet

I am unable to access any of your previous posts. Please provide links to them and we will do our best to respond.

If you cannot post links, ask your question again.

Thanks.

i opened a ticket a week ago and not had one single response to my ticket could someone please explain why no one has even responded yet

What do you mean by "opened a ticket"?

Here is a link to your only other thread that contains your prior posts: Exceptions to SOL PA

This is your only other thread and a few people responded.

Exceptions to SOL PA

The people that advise here, and at most other legal sites, are volunteers. When you post a question, there is not always someone available that may have legal knowledge of that exact issue.

I do not see any posts from you that do not have responses. Please clarify or post a link.

i dont know what that means im sorry but i just wanted my account deleted

It means that all of the posts in the additional (unnecessary) threads were moved in to this thread. If you no longer wish to post here, then simply cease doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back