Eviction Notice Ex landlord no longer owns property - demanding rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

madamc

We were renting half a duplex for over 1 1/2 years and after the first full year, the landlord put us on a month to month basis. He advised us he was selling the duplex and said the new owners would want us out as soon as possible to make repairs/updates to the place. Since we had never had any issues with him, we asked if he had any other properties for us to view and told him we wanted to move as soon as possible. He advised that he did have a house in our price range and gave us the address to go look at it, but said it wouldnt be ready until the beginning of the following month (March 2014). We patiently waited and around the end of february asked him how it was coming along and he said it may be a week or two more than expected. So, after 2 more weeks went by, we asked him again and at this point, he advised that he was no longer wanting to "rent" that house, but was now only trying to sell it, and that the new owners would be taking over our current duplex by mid month. We at this point asked about our deposit and what to do about giving our 30 days notice and he brushed us off saying we would have to deal with the new people in reguards to that. We asked for the new companies information and he refused to give it to us. On March 10th, the new company took over and simply left a note on our door and I immediately called them. They did not return my call, so I called them again in a few days at which point I was informed that the office manager was out and would return my call the next day. The office manager still did not return my call, so I called again and again, she was out of the office. I spoke with the receptionist asking her about our security deposit and how to put our notice to leave in because we were looking for another place since our previous landlord said that we needed to be out. Now, I know that a landlord is required to give a 30 day notice to vacate, but I was trying to help them by leaving earlier than that. I paid my last full months rent and not knowing where to send the letter to inform them I was moving, I left. I moved out on March 18th (rent paid through the end of the month). By March 21st, the new landlord already had people at the house cleaning the entire inside and remodeling as well as a "VACANT" letter in the mailbox. Now keep in mind...I still had not had the opportunity to speak with the office manager at this point AND I sitll had 12 days left to complete any repairs or cleaning on the house. We asked the maintenace workers there for the direct phone number to the person who ran everything with the new company and I called to find out what was going on. The man told me that he saw it looked vacant so they went ahead and started repairs and cleanings. I asked him what about my deposit since I was not given the opportunity to clean/repair anything and he did not answer me only saying "My guys can take care of everything". I took that as if I wouldn't get the deposit back and being 9 months pregnant, did not have the will to fight.

Now, almost a month later, the ORIGINAL landlord is calling me demanding Aprils rent and sending a certified letter of eviction even though he no longer owns the duplex. I tried to call him to find out what was going on, but he is ignoring my phone calls.

Now that you have heard the drama of my situation, what do I do to ensure I do not receive an eviction on my record and how can I get him stop him from contacting me? I am also curious if there is anything I can do about the deposit I lost?

I suggest you speak with an attorney because your situation seems to be getting worse.
Its also far too complicated to address on this useful, but small forum.
See a lawyer, see what he or she advises.
If you don't, you'll be visiting court regularly for the next month or so.

You really need to keep the eviction filing off your history, and to be safe, a lawyer is your best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back