Ex boyfriend room mate from hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazzmill

I have a problem. I currently live in a house with my ex. We lease a house together. Before we moved in it we sat down and came up with how the bills will be paid. He was responsible for his half of the rent which is $400.00 and half the utilities. Well at the time he was working. We are 4 month in to our lease. And I been paying the bills the whole time. Once he paid his have. We currntly have seperate rooms in the house which is fine with me. But just pay your have until the lease is up. Now when we met he move from another stats to stay in my apartment. The thing was we had known each other for a long time. And he had his own everything. He lost his car and his job. He sit home and everytime the 4th comes I ask him for his half. And he would say i don't have it. But he collects unemplyment. I have children and I'am trying to keep the roof over there heads.
I am want to take him to small claims court now. I was wondering can I. I have banking statements that shows I paid the rent. He states that both of our name is on the recipts. of the rent bill. I have on the dates that i made withdrawls and if checks I put rent on the memo. He says that do not mean nothing. If I have proof that backs me up from my statement can it work. I went to the landlord. He states that he has to put both our name because our name is on the lease. He has nothting to do with it. I just want whats owe to me. I can't afford this on my own. I can't afford to ruin my credit behind this bum. Do I have to wait until the lease is up to file.

chazzmill said:
I have a problem. I currently live in a house with my ex. We lease a house together. Before we moved in it we sat down and came up with how the bills will be paid. He was responsible for his half of the rent which is $400.00 and half the utilities. Well at the time he was working. We are 4 month in to our lease. And I been paying the bills the whole time. Once he paid his have. We currntly have seperate rooms in the house which is fine with me. But just pay your have until the lease is up. Now when we met he move from another stats to stay in my apartment. The thing was we had known each other for a long time. And he had his own everything. He lost his car and his job. He sit home and everytime the 4th comes I ask him for his half. And he would say i don't have it. But he collects unemplyment. I have children and I'am trying to keep the roof over there heads.
I am want to take him to small claims court now. I was wondering can I. I have banking statements that shows I paid the rent. He states that both of our name is on the recipts. of the rent bill. I have on the dates that i made withdrawls and if checks I put rent on the memo. He says that do not mean nothing. If I have proof that backs me up from my statement can it work. I went to the landlord. He states that he has to put both our name because our name is on the lease. He has nothting to do with it. I just want whats owe to me. I can't afford this on my own. I can't afford to ruin my credit behind this bum. Do I have to wait until the lease is up to file.
You can take him to small claims court. Don't be afraid. If both your names are on the lease and you paid the bills then he can explain to the judge why he doesn't owe his half of the rent. Like most people, they will make things up in order to scare a person like you into thinking that court is futile. You likely want to send him a notice by certified mail of non-possession of rent and your covering him. If he doesn't pay within X days you will take him to small claims court. If he thinks he can get away with it, let him explain it to the judge. I am very sorry to hear about your problem and hope you can work it out without a need to go this far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back