Eviction of person not the owner or paying tenant-live-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy_Cava

Living in Chicago, Illinois. A couple of years ago my brother moved into my (our 77 year old) fathers (the home owner) home after being released from prison. During this time my brother moved his girlfriend in to live with him. My brother has now been placed back in jail with a case pending against him from which he will receive no less than 5years. The girlfriend was ask to move out on Feburary 1, 2004. The problem is his girlfriend has been reluctant to move out of my fathers home. Stating she has a right to live there. My father (81 years old) has been stating to me that he wants her the girlfriend to move out, this has been expressed to her several times. She has moved 95% of her belongings but, only making an effort when I go over the and spend 3 to 5 hours a day at his home.

In the case of a person living in the home with another. What is the Illinois law to have an individual removed/evicted from the residency?

1. She has never paid rent.

2. There was no lease agreement or verbal agreement of residency between her the girlfriend and the homeowner my father.

3. Does she have squatters rights.

4. Is she considered a month to month tentant.

Squatters rights is commonly known as 'adverse possession' and usually is only an issue when you are talking about a significantly long period of time. That period of time varies by state and usually consists of at least 5 years and must be adverse and open and notorious -- this is not the case here as these people had consent to live on the property.

Other than that I can see no rights the girlfriend has and she would likely be able to be evicted in the same manner as a month to month tenant. Let her explain her theory of law to the judge s to why she should have a right to live in the home for free!

Originally posted by Cathy Cava
Living in Chicago, Illinois. A couple of years ago my brother moved into my (our 77 year old) fathers (the home owner) home after being released from prison. During this time my brother moved his girlfriend in to live with him. My brother has now been placed back in jail with a case pending against him from which he will receive no less than 5years. The girlfriend was ask to move out on Feburary 1, 2004. The problem is his girlfriend has been reluctant to move out of my fathers home. Stating she has a right to live there. My father (81 years old) has been stating to me that he wants her the girlfriend to move out, this has been expressed to her several times. She has moved 95% of her belongings but, only making an effort when I go over the and spend 3 to 5 hours a day at his home.

In the case of a person living in the home with another. What is the Illinois law to have an individual removed/evicted from the residency?

1. She has never paid rent.

2. There was no lease agreement or verbal agreement of residency between her the girlfriend and the homeowner my father.

3. Does she have squatters rights.

4. Is she considered a month to month tentant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back