Eviction of month to month renter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rilo1025

My jurisdiction is: California

I live in a 3 bedroom house with my daughter that my dad and I built. I have the master and there are two roommates. There is no lease, the renters are paying month to month for bedroom only. One roommate is breaking every rule on a daily basis. She brings drug users over constantly and parties (crack smoke). Now, $2000 worth of my power tools are missing. I told her at the end of last month to move out by the end of this month. I don't think she will. Nor, has she paid rent for this month. I plan on moving her things out of the room at the end of the month so that I can show it to another possible renter. Am I within my rights? Could there be any MAJOR issues arising out of this.

You can't do a "self-eviction" without the risk of getting your socks sued off...especially in tenant friendly California.

Read the information that jacksgal provided.

Gail

I want to serve my renter with a three day notice but when my dad rented out the room to her, he didn't get her last name or any other information. What can I do to get her name???

No, I'm not kidding. I built that house for my dad. He doesn't live there but I do. He rents out the other two rooms and collects the rent. I don't know why he didn't get any information. #@%*!!! What can I do to get her name?

She won't tell me and she always get to the mail before I do. But, I called the police to get a report for the tools that were stolen ($2000 worth). They arrested her on a warrent for petty theft and now I have her name. Thank you very much for your replies.

I served her with a "3 DAY NOTICE TO QUIT". I need to fill out the UNLAWFUL DETAINER form and CASE COVER SHEET. On the case cover sheet, do I mark RESIDENTIAL or DRUGS. I want to sue her for the loss of the tools ($2000); Do I mark OTHER COMPLAINT under MISCELLANEOUS CIVIL COMPLAINT? And under REMEDIES SOUGHT, do I check (a) MONETARY, (b) NONMONETARY; DECLARATORY OR INJUNCTIVE RELIEF, and or (c) PUNITIVE. I someone can help me with this first page I would be very greatful. I will ask later if I need any more help with the UNLAWFUL COMPLAINT FORM.

Thanks

I've printed out what I'm assuming is the cover sheet you are talking about.

Under number 1 it indicates you check the one box that best describes your case. So...what do you want from this tenant? Do you want her out of the rental unit or do you want to sue her for the tools you say she stole from you?

If your main goal is suing for the tools, mark (26) Other Real Property. If your main goal is getting her out of your place (with the idea of suing her later for the tools), then mark (32) Residential under Unlawful Detainer.

If you're going for the money for the tools or the lost rent, mark (a.) monetary under Remedies Sought.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back