Eviction Defense Eviction due to my Service dogs

Nancy T. RN

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I live in a mobile home, of which we own, but we pay rent for the land. Our manager has given us an eviction notice because I have 2 dogs, of whom are service dogs. The only thing that we do that they object to is that, since I am disabled and cannot physically walk them, I let them outside on a lead. The mess is cleaned up daily as well as my bringing them in as soon as they are done or start barking.

We do not have a lease at this time. This park has changed ownership 3 times in the past 6 years. They do state that letting dogs out on a lead is against the lease agreement, but is there any exception for service dogs owned by a disabled person?

In addition, we had been harassed numerous times by our neighbors, who called the animal control department. All of the claims were unfounded, except for not having a dog house, so we had to buy one. Now the management is insisting that we have to get rid of the dog house as well, which of course will get us in trouble with animal control again.

We do not have a lease at this time. This park has changed ownership 3 times in the past 6 years. They do state that letting dogs out on a lead is against the lease agreement, but is there any exception for service dogs owned by a disabled person?
If you don't have a lease at this time then what lease says that you can't let the dogs out on a lead? What does your last lease say?

I'm sure the mobile home park has rules regarding pets and what is allowed and what is not. If you don't already have a copy of the rules, request one and read it. If you're following the rules, you shouldn't be having issues. Are these dogs emotional support dogs or do they actually perform a service for you?

Back