Evicting Roomates

Lennie17

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My 29 year old sone, who lives on the 2nd and 3rd floor of above my 1st floor apartment has, for the past 2 weeks, had three (3) adults and one 5 year old living with him. He is the only person on the lease. The landlord was aware when they moved in but the landlord and my son want them out. There is a variety of reasons including arguments, drug usage (on the front porch), screaming and confrontations. Last night my son spent the night on my couch. My son called the police and spoke to a local officer (Muhlenberg Township near the city of Reading, PA) who informed him the only way he could get them out was to go through the District Judge and the officer warned my son it could be a lengthy process. The landlord was under the assumption that there is somewthing called a "bug out" program available.

Can you help? My son has a heart condition and I have extensive medical problems as well.

My son has a heart condition and I have extensive medical problems as well.

Absolutely irrelevant when it comes to landlord tenant law.

The landlord was under the assumption that there is something called a "bug out" program available.

There is no "bug out" program in the PA landlord tenant act:

https://www.thelpa.com/PA_landlord_tenant_act.pdf

However, the act does address Recovery of Possession in Article V starting with Section 250.501. Have your landlord and your son read it and see if there is any help there.

Trouble is, with your son being the only signatory on his lease, it's your son who is breaching the lease by having crappy guests.

It's possible that the landlord might have to file eviction against your son and his guests.

Your landlord would be wise to seek the advice of an attorney lest he get this wrong and ends up stuck with the low lifes who may damage his property.

Back