Estate Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebon

I'm trying to get some information on Estate Law. I inherited an estate from a good friend. His wife died 4 years eariler. The wife was in a nursing home for 4 years prior her death.

The wife had a daughter, stepdaughter to my friend. The stepdaughter had the mother's will leaving her the mother's share. The stepdaughter held the until my friend died, which was just 3 days shy of 4 years. Now she's claiming half of the estate which is basically a home and property the home is on.

The wife's will had disinherited her husband, my friend and her second child who is Mentally Retarded.

We're in Texas, a community property state. I'm desperately looking for a loop hole that will either reduce the stepdaughter's share or that will leave her with nothing. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Last edited:
This is a fact specific matter. There are no real 'loopholes' unless there are many facts taken into account as the law does not want any loopholes. I'm a little confused as to why the wife's property wasn't distributed as a result of the wife's death. We need a bit more information here as to what happened at that time and the four years since. (Note, in the future you should post in the right section!)

Originally posted by Ebon
I'm trying to get some information on Estate Law. I inherited an estate from a good friend. His wife died 4 years eariler. The wife was in a nursing home for 4 years prior her death.

The wife had a daughter, stepdaughter to my friend. The stepdaughter had the mother's will leaving her the mother's share. The stepdaughter held the until my friend died, which was just 3 days shy of 4 years. Now she's claiming half of the estate which is basically a home and property the home is on.

The wife's will had disinherited her husband, my friend and her second child who is Mentally Retarded.

We're in Texas, a community property state. I'm desperately looking for a loop hole that will either reduce the stepdaughter's share or that will leave her with nothing. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back