ER did not diclose fee when asked, going to collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lori777Mack

I received a financial aid card from the local hospital because of my very low income. I went to the ER with shoulder pain and was told to "sign in" on the form that also stated that I was aware that the DR. bill was seperate from the Hospital bill. As I went through the process of registration and the Triage nurse, then the actual Doctor, I asked that I be told of anything, procedure, or service that would not be covered under the "Financial Aid card". I expained that I had no money and could not afford any out of pocket expenses. I am 2 years into a chapter 13 settlement payoff. I was informed that the only service not covered by the Financial Aid would be X-rays. I promplty refused them. The doctor didn't really seem to care about my pain, gave me a prescription for muscle relaxer and no information and it did me no good. Five days later, still in excruciating shoulder joint pain, going through the same exact process but with a new Doctor, flashing my "Financial Aid Card" to everyone, explaining my situation, refusing the X-rays again! This second ER Dr. properly diagnosed me with Bursitis, gave me extensive info and care instructions and some proper medication prescriptions and I was finally feeling better. Now, one month later, 1st Dr. who did nothing has billed me $299 and 2nd wondereful Dr. is billing me $219. Billing agency will turn these both to collections if I don't pay in 30 days but I keep asking them why NO ONE informed me that the ER Dr. didn't participate in the Financial aid program despite my pleading to be informed of ANY out of pocket expenses. Their argument for me was that I was informed the Dr. billed seperately. Shouldn't those Doctors have spoken up when I asked for any cost not covered by the hospital's finacial aid program? Had they diclosed the charge, I would have left to see my childrens' family Dr. and could have more easily found a way to pay her $75 office fee with the same result.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back