Equipment Missing from Vehicle Purchased

Eric Curtis

Jurisdiction
Texas
I recently purchased a vehicle online from one of the popular online organization. When I received the vehicle it was missing a remote and a second key. I checked with the dealership and to replace those items it would cost me approximately $800.00. Prior to the purchase I had asked the salesperson if the vehicle had everything. He said yes. None of the information on the site stated that the vehicle had one key nor did it say that the remote was missing. When I contacted the organization they said that they would order another remote but that the vehicle only had one key. Furthermore, they stated that the information about the vehicle only having one key was on their parent site. There was nothing on the site I looked at that stated the vehicle only had one key. Also there was nothing that stated to see the parent site for further details. In subsequent communications with them they maintain that the information was on the other site and that their policy is only to provide one key. What standing do I have? I believe that because they did not inform me that there was only one key they are obligated to provide it. The key and the programming would cost $500.00.
The company is headquartered in Texas even though I am in South Carolina.

Are you suggesting that only receiving one key is somehow inconsistent with the salesperson telling you that "the vehicle had everything" (which I assume is not really what you asked or were told)?

Your complaint seems to be that you only got one key (instead of two) and did not get a remote. However, the seller has agreed to order the remote for you, so it only comes down to a single key.

Unless you got an express representation that you would receive two keys, I don't think you have any sort of valid claim.

Well, that seems odd. I did ask the question "did the vehicle had everything" and was told "yes". Also, if they agreed that the remote should be there then doesn't that apply to the second key? Also, their parent site does state for their other vehicles that there is one key. However, when they actively listed their vehicle one the other site they neglected to state that. If they thought it was important to expressly list that information on their parent site then it shouldn't it have been listed on the other site? I think that they knew the information was important and people wanted to know this prior to purchase. When I look at some of the past feedback on their parent site some of it is for only sending one key. They knew this was an issue yet failed to provide the information. I think that they are responsible to provide a key.

Unless you can produce something that indicates the vehicle had two keys I am not sure you have anywhere to go with this.
That or did not specify the number of keys does not help you.

I did ask the question "did the vehicle had everything" and was told "yes".

The problem is that this is a completely ambiguous question. What does "everything" mean? You apparently define it to include two keys, but the seller apparently does not, and it's not like there is a universally accepted definition of the word.

Also, if they agreed that the remote should be there then doesn't that apply to the second key?

No. Agreeing that the remote is part of "everything" has nothing to do with whether "everything" includes one key or two.

Also, their parent site does state for their other vehicles that there is one key. However, when they actively listed their vehicle one the other site they neglected to state that.

I don't know what "parent site" means, but this is not something that would need to be affirmatively stated.

Regardless of any of the above, if you really want to push it, go ahead and file in small claims court.

Cross-referencing to the other site where you posted this same thing so that anyone responding may have the benefit of all discussion on the subject.

Last edited:
Back