Employment change

Status
Not open for further replies.

mowgli

Hi everyone. I am currently in the I.T. (Information Technology) field. I work as a network security engineer. I have always had an affinity for law. I was wondering if a 45 year old, having enjoyed some success in his current field, can make a rewarding transition in the field of law. I was thinking something in I.T. I would welcome some testimony of those who have accomplished such a feat.

Thank you in advance.

Hey Mowgli -- Thanks for the note and apologize for the late reply as I was out with surgery issues for a while!

The real question is whether you want to switch careers and go into an area that may not be as rewarding as it may seem. What is it about law that you find compelling? If it is about discussion regarding current and future law then, yes, that is a compelling discussion but is there a career? There are currently quite a number of people who are hoping to propel their career forward by being involved in electronic discovery and all, such as a market leading company in that industryKroll Ontrack . This is possibly the most well known field that encompasses IT and law at the moment.

Other areas might include IP or intellectual property issues concerning patent, trademark and copyright, but are these areas ones which you will find compelling to do. They can be tedious. They might not be as fast moving and paced as a career in IT. Tell us more why you are seeking a career in law.

mowgli said:
Hi everyone. I am currently in the I.T. (Information Technology) field. I work as a network security engineer. I have always had an affinity for law. I was wondering if a 45 year old, having enjoyed some success in his current field, can make a rewarding transition in the field of law. I was thinking something in I.T. I would welcome some testimony of those who have accomplished such a feat.

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back