Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Employer suspects theft

George1876

Jurisdiction
New Mexico
Here's some back story in case it's relevant.
Private company
My employer hired an HR person to fire an individual and after they were walked out they called me in to speak with the boss(owner) and HR. They went over 2 sunglasses that were missing from inventory. Both that were accepted by me with my name on them because its my job to accept them. But I had also ordered them for viewing for myself before purchasing. I chose i didn't like them and put them up for purchase by a customer. Our LP is very unorganized so much so that it doesn't actually exist. Its basically the owner going through invoices and trying to remember if they saw the products or not. Customers (though they are not suppose to) find themselves in rooms with products that can easily be take.

Hr and the owner(boss) spoke with me about the missing frames and I wasn't sure if I was about to lose my job over nonsense so I told them I'll find the chart because I knew one frame was sold by me almost immediately after I put it on display (nothing is in a system, its all manual entry and to top it off if we dont write it down it gets lost. I mean it when I say its a mess and literally up to me and other employees to keep track which is difficult when someone can sell a pair of glasses and not record the actual frame sold in any way) and I'll do my best to find the other pair of glasses. I found the chart that shows one of the 2 were purchased but the other pair is still missing after a few days but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack! Well are a huge store and sell an average of 230 glasses per month and by the time it was brought up to me that they were "missing" it had been a month! The owner leaves a letter after a few days of the other one missing and it reads:
"delivered by hand
The *** Employee benefits located in the common area states all employee purchases require prior approval by *the owner/boss*. When *the owner/boss* inquired about the non-approved sunglass order you informed *the owner/boss* the order was placed on the floor in the display case. To date the above mentioned item is not accounted for. As a result you have failed to follow established procedures. It is my sincere hope you understand the seriousness of your actions."
Should I be concered I might be charged with theft if it isn't found? What are my rights?

There's no way we can even begin to guess if your employer will contact the police about this matter. What I can tell you is that you can be terminated for this and the termination would be perfectly legal. Firing somebody because of the belief that they took something is perfectly legal.

Should I be concered I might be charged with theft if it isn't found?

I think you know better than a bunch of strangers what portends for you.

What are my rights?

You have no RIGHTS, insofar as a private party is concerned.

All the RIGHTS any of us are entitled to flow directly from the government to us, the citizenry.

Jimmy owes no rights to Timmy, nor does Timmy owe any rights to Shimmy.

The founders knew all too well what the sovereign could do to the sovereign's subjects, which is why the government they created owes rights to its citizenry.

Your employer owes you no rights, but needs only obey the laws promulgated by the various incarnations of "gubmint".

As a dumb OUTSIDER looking in, having seen similar situations to your predicament, THEY are on to you; mate!

Never in my life would I have considered the rights of Shimmy. Was he the 5th Stooge?

:) Shimmy is the sixth cousin of Gimme out of Hemi. Shimmy was an actor, often appearing in westerns as one of the townsfolk. Shimmy was nominated for an Oyster (the Oscars for extras) for his stellar role as the man struck by a freight wagon in Skipalong Hassidy's biggest movie, "My Six Gun's Empty, Paw".:D

Back