Emergency Room bill for visit while under arrest!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerzola1

Hello,

In December 2004, I was arrested for criminal mischief in Houston. This incident occurred at a time when I was feeling especially down due to depression; I've been diagnosed with Depression. The case has been dismissed.

While being held at the local Houston jail that night, I was taken via ambulance to an emergency room against my will. I was suspected of ingesting something and being non-responsive while in jail. How they arrived at this conclusion, I don't have a clue as I would be the last person on earth to do such a thing; in spite of my depression. I've never delved into drugs or tried to harm myself at any time in my life.

At the emergency room, despite repeatedly pleading that I had not swallowed anything, I was given some sort of an oral charcoal treatment. Nothing was found just as I had been claiming all night. While this ridiculous affair was taking place, a nurse misreading my anxiousness remarked, "Child, you don't have to worry about paying the hospital bill if that's what is worrying you". At the time, her comment struck me as odd since that was the last thing on my mind and so I didn't pay too much attention to it. After about three or four hours I was released back into HPD's custody for the booking process.

As I mentioned above, the case was dropped but I've started receiving two separate bills. One is from the Harris County Hospital District for $3004.11 for the emergency room and the other is from EMS (City of Houston) for $431.25 for the ambulance. My question is this. Is it legal for them to charge me for this especially since I did not authorize anyone to take me to the emergency room? If so, why? If not, how do I get rid of the bills? I have serious reservations about paying as I had neither health insurance nor any extra money laying under my mattress for these bills at the time.

Any feedback or guidance regarding my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

RB

This is the law:

d) A person who is or was a prisoner in a county jail and received medical, dental, or health related services from a county or a hospital district shall be required to pay for such services when they are rendered

Texas Code of Criminal Procedure 104.002

Commentary:

The Texas prisoner payment statute requires a county prisoner who receives medical, dental, or health-related services while in custody to pay for such services when rendered. This statute does not differentiate between emergency, nonemergency, or elective medical treatment, nor does it distinguish between prisoner-initiated medical visits and doctorinitiated referrals or follow up visits. It does, however, specifically provide for indigent prisoners and detainees. The statute requires the county to assist indigent prisoners in applying for reimbursement through the hospital district in which they are residents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back