Emancipation in Pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazymonkeyman

My father is a diplomat, we moved around until fourth grade, at which point my parents got divorced and I stayed with my mom, who briefly went to New York, and now lives in Pennsylvania. Since the middle of fourth grade, I've lived in the town I'm in now, becoming friends with people to a level I never thought possible, so I have strong emotional ties to this town. I am currently sixteen, and my mom is moving to Florida at the end of the month. I have two years of high school left, and for once I have a girlfriend that I truly love, the first ever. There is no clear law pertaining to emancipation in Pennsylvania, I know this much. My dad lives in Maryland now, and I'd be moving in with him if I had to move, cause it's closest to where I live now. I have an offer from my girlfriend's mother to live in her house, while paying 1/4 of the utilities, because I'll be the fourth resident of the house. I am totally fine with this idea, but my father is not. He wants me to move to Maryland with him, and finish high school where he lives. I plan on staying here, what are my legal options? I've figured out that I can attend school and keep using his health insurance if he agrees to it, but what can I do if he still wants me to move with him?

Move with him. You do not have a choice. Until you are 18, you live where your parents say you live.

The situation has changed a little bit. My mom has custody of me right now, she just told me I can A) Go to my dad's pretty much right away or B) move in to my girlfriend's house till the end of the month at which time she's not responsible for me. In the state of Pennsylvania, you are basically emancipated when you reach the necessary goals, you don't really need to petition for it, but I might have to. If I move out, which I most likely will, I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, cause I'm guessing it's hard to take someone that's emancipated.

And where are you working full-time so as to support yourself 100%?

"...In the state of Pennsylvania, you are basically emancipated when you reach the necessary goals...."

You don't really believe that, do you?

And where are you working full-time so as to support yourself 100%?

"...In the state of Pennsylvania, you are basically emancipated when you reach the necessary goals...."

You don't really believe that, do you?

Ah, but I do. In Pennsylvania, there is no law pertaining to emancipation, basically you can say you are, and if someone contests it, you take it to court and they look at whether or not you qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back