Elder Abuse???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gramstrustee

Recently my grandparents came to live with me in my State of FL. I have been a co-trustee on my grandmothers living trust for many years. I was the one looked on to handle any serious matters, as she knew I would act in her best interests. I also had POA to sell her home in Nevada, with the funds made out solely to her living trust.

After she was at our home for 1 week, we noticed she was always screaming at her husband about things that happened years ago... over and over. Well this became unbearable and the home health nurse stated that it looked as if she had dementia. (I have a report left by the home health nurse, as our intent was to use a Florida Law called the backer Act to have her hospitalized. After speaking with her doctor in Nevada after she returned, he also said that dymensia was an issue. Anyway when she realizes that we are going to the courts to try to envoke the Baker Act she flips out and refuses to go to hospital and calls my cousin in Nevada who books both of them on the next plane out back to him.

For years this cousin has scammed her in every possible way, which is why I was made POA as a co=trustee on her living trust prior to the sale of the home. But this time is different as she now had 265k from the sale of her house. In 3 weeks since they have been there they have closed all accounts they had prior to the home sale and opened all new accounts which I have access to watching the paper trail, (cousin does not know). Also there is money unaccounted for from the sale, which I do not see, approximately 65k. I have watched checks go out made out to his wife for household items, two large cash withdrawals in 2 weeks, and also utility bills, which would not be for the grandparents. Also they are not allowed to speak with ANY family members and he is claiming that Gram is saying "we" are all trying to have her committed and steal her money.

The reality is I would like a court appointed person to handle their expenses and get it out of his hands. I do not want to handle this estate, nor should he be allowed to. Do I have to begin action or her nearest blood relative, who is my mom? The grandfather, (a 2nd marriage), is also not capable of handling any of these affairs. I have spoken to his nearest surviving relative a son, and he also agrees that this needs to happen. What can we do to ensure that the grandparents are protected?

Elder Abuse

Mu suggestion would be for your Mon and his son to join forces and retain an elder care attorney in Nevada. Then follow his advice. Try the find an attorney link on this board. If no one is listed then send me an email and I can provide some more resources.

Is she still seeing her doctor in Nevada?

Elder Abuse??

We do not know if she is seeing the same doctor. I spoke with him when she went back there as he had met me prior to bringing them to Florida. When I told him where she is now living he sounded disgusted, as I believe she even told him about this individual at one point. I will look for elder attorney, yet if I need will post again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back