Ebay - Item not as Described

Status
Not open for further replies.

katieyhip

I purchased something from Ebay and the day I received it emailed the seller to let them know that it was not in working condition as the listing had described. They asked me to tell them exactly what wasn't working about it. I emailed them back the details and never heard from them.

To make a long story short, I went through Ebay, called the seller (no response in 3 weeks to my 2 messages asking for a call back within 1 week), no response to multiple emails. I opened a claim with PayPal and the seller told me I can return it to them and they will pay back the winning bid amount only. They won't pay me back the $15.95 they charged me on top of the winning amount or the money it will cost me to mail it back. I feel that since they committed fraud by selling me something that was not as described, I should not have to be out any money on this deal. If they won't refund my shipping costs, I would still be out $31.90 with nothing to show for it. This doesn't seem fair - is it legal?

What other recourse do I have?

I opened the dispute and when the seller said they would only pay the bid amount, I escalated it to a claim. The claim is under review with Paypal, but I was wondering if there were any other courses of action that were available. This seller has a history of being non-responsive.

PayPal told me to return the item to the seller and they will try to refund me the purchase price, which means I will be out the shipping costs to return it and the shipping costs I paid to have it sent to me. Do I have to do this? This means I will be out over $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back