Early Termination Clause in Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

timber210

Hello!

I am going over a lease that I am about to sign for a 2Br townhouse condo in Connecticut. The lease did not have an early termination clause in it, so I am trying to prepare an amendment to the lease to include this clause - especially because it is a 2 year lease.

What are the standard early termination rules and language (especially in Connecticut)? My soon-to-be landlord suggested 2 options:

1. Leasee must notify within 30 days and is responsible for a maximum of 6 full months' rent until the dwelling has been re-rented.

2. Leasee must notify within 30 days and is responsible for 3 full months' rent, after 3 months the Leasee will pay 75% of the rent for every month the dwelling is not re-rented.

He also mentioned adding in a stipulation that the Leasee must pay for all expenses to rerent the dwelling (he will be living out of state and will need to use a realtor).

I just want to make sure that I do not leave myself open to dispute - or hurt myself if I desperately need to break the lease!

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated!

thanks!

I did some research regarding Connecticut Landlord/Tenant Laws and there isn't a standard language regarding early termination of a lease agreement. Usually, landlords require 30 to 60 days notice and a penalty fee of 2 months for each year of the lease. I find the 6 months demand a bit excessive for the first option and the second option is not better either. In addition to the monthly rent that you are responsible for, you will be responsible for all the expenses to re-rent the property which are usually the following:
1) Realtor's fee - usually one month's rent
2) Advertising fees - around $150 monthly until the unit is rented

Not cheap! If I were you, unless you really know that you are not going to be moving out of this place in two years, I would continue looking for a place where the landlord will not be making such steep demands and will offer more flexibility when it comes to breaking the lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back