Criminal Law DUI Offence and Citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkhanna

Hi,

Let me tell you quickly of my situtation. I got my GC in Sept of 2000 and this June (4 yrs, 9 months) I will aplly for citizenship. My only belmish I can think of is a DUi offence in DC. I was taken to the station and given a bratheslyser where my BAC was only .03. IN VA I would be well under the limit but DC has this BS law called zero Tolerence - BTW I do not condone drinking and driving under any circumstances, I only had 2 drinks and was crashing at my freinds house.

Anyway I went to court, plead no guilty, took a class called diversion for a few weeks and all charges were dropped. I don't have any criminal background whatsoever. This is the only thing I can think off. I pay all my taxes and I haven't gotten in any other trouble. Can the US deny me citizenship based on 1 DUI wher all charges were dropped?? I know I have to meet an immigrationlawyer and I think her should come with me for my interview but any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Technically you were not convicted of a crime and therefore you can answer that question in the negative.

kkhanna said:
Hi,

Let me tell you quickly of my situtation. I got my GC in Sept of 2000 and this June (4 yrs, 9 months) I will aplly for citizenship. My only belmish I can think of is a DUi offence in DC. I was taken to the station and given a bratheslyser where my BAC was only .03. IN VA I would be well under the limit but DC has this BS law called zero Tolerence - BTW I do not condone drinking and driving under any circumstances, I only had 2 drinks and was crashing at my freinds house.

Anyway I went to court, plead no guilty, took a class called diversion for a few weeks and all charges were dropped. I don't have any criminal background whatsoever. This is the only thing I can think off. I pay all my taxes and I haven't gotten in any other trouble. Can the US deny me citizenship based on 1 DUI wher all charges were dropped?? I know I have to meet an immigrationlawyer and I think her should come with me for my interview but any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back