Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI DUI in Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac011977

I got a DUI recently in Oregon (Washington County). I had consumed only 1 drink but was on Nyquil for throat congestion in recommended doses throughout that day. I did mention the Nyquil to the cop when he asked me before the sobriety tests.. I felt fine when I drove and remember all the minute details of that event and everything that followed. My record so far
is clean - no traffic tickets, violations, arrests or convictions. I have been driving for almost 18 years with a clean record. THe questions I have:

1. THe officer claims that he stopped me (very early in the morning) because I didn't stop when a traffic light turned yellow as I was turning left (this isn't true - I had a friend in the front passenger seat who does NOT drink at all and he also saw that the light was green when I turned left). He had another officer with him. Is there a reasonable chance that I can claim that this was an illegal stop and ask that the case be dismissed? THis basically becomes a case of the credibility of 2 officers vs 2 civilians. Whose credibilty is given more value in such situations? Does the fact that I'm an engineer with a clean record so far give me any more credibility than the cops in the eyes of the judge or jury?

2. He asked me to do sobriety tests. During one of the tests he did - the light test - he kept moving the pen to extremes beyond my visual field (for example, to my extreme left where I could not even see the pen). THis is a test where I'm supposed to keep looking at (following) the pen as he moves it around. He obviously can't expect me to look at it if he moves it out of sight. What are the chances of me claiming that he did the sobriety tests
wrong and so the case should be dismissed?

3. When he finally arrested me and took me to the station, I blew 0.12. I was surprised because I only had 1 drink - either the equipment was messed up or the Nyquil must have reacted badly with my drink somehow. Also, I don't drink more than once a month and when I do drink, it is only about 1 or 2 drinks (never more than 1 if I'm driving). Am I even allowed to mention my past clean record and Nyquil consumption to the jury to defend my case? If yes, will the jury be sympathetic to such situations or is 0.12 very damning? Is there any significant chance of me winning this case at all?

4. Since this is now permanently on my record, am I "tagged" by cops, ie, will I be scrutinized/stopped more by them without valid reason? Everytime they run my plates, does it bring up my arrest & DUI? IF yes, is that alone often a reason for them to stop me, especially late at night or early morning (even though that may be illegal)?

5. What do potential future employers get to see when they do a background check on me? Do they get to see all the details of my arrest & DUI court proceedings, my BAC no. etc? Or do they only get to see an "arrest" followed by "Diversion" (if I choose diversion) or "Conviction" (if I fight and lose) in my record (with no further details)?

Thanks for the help.

3. When he finally arrested me and took me to the station, I blew 0.12. I was surprised because I only had 1 drink - either the equipment was messed up or the Nyquil must have reacted badly with my drink somehow. Also, I don't drink more than once a month and when I do drink, it is only about 1 or 2 drinks (never more than 1 if I'm driving). Am I even allowed to mention my past clean record and Nyquil consumption to the jury to defend my case? If yes, will the jury be sympathetic to such situations or is 0.12 very damning? Is there any significant chance of me winning this case at all?

This does not make sense; you had much more than one drink (and NyQuil has lots of alcohol in it).

Thank you for the reply.

I weigh only about 130 pounds, drink only once a month (about 1 to 2 drinks when I do drink) and so I don't have much capacity for alcohol. I really only did have 1 drink, but I did have quite a few doses of Nyquil. It must have been some bad reaction between Nyquil and that 1 drink. I really did not know Nyquil could have that much effect - now I know!

This was a genuine mistake caused by ignorance of the effect of Nyquil - the intention was never to consume a lot of alcohol and drive. Will the judge or jury be sympathetic to this, given my otherwise clean record of about 18 years?

dui

I am wondering if i can be extradited to mn from wi for a gross misd dui. I am not guilty but fear that i will be wrongfully convicted and dont want to go to jail for something i did not do

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back