Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI DUI and travel to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadaguy

Would really appreciate it someone could help me here. I am a canadian PR, currently in the USA on a work permit.

2 years back i got a DUI in the United States, my work permit is now expiring and i want to go back to Canada on my PR card to maintain my residency there so that i can file for citizenship after finishing my residency requirements. I plan to drive into canada with my belongings.

I heard that the folks at the border wil not allow anyone with a DUI to enter canada. I do have a canadian PR card with me.
Is there a chance that they they will deny me entry as a Perm resident just because i got a DUI in the USA 2 years back? or is this law for GC Holders and Citizens of the USA with a DUI?

I did plead guilty to the charge, but was given 32 hours of AA, 100 hours of Community service and one year unsupervised probation, (since it was an out of state DUI).
I did not do any jail time. However the DUI record does come up if checked.
My concern is - will they stop me from driving into canada as a canadian PR with this background?

Will it be better for me to fly into canada rather than drive?

Could anyone please advice me of my options...

I've driven over the Canadian-USA border and every time, all they do is look at my passport and wave me on.

So, I couldn't tell you if your country will make you stay in our country.

Ask the border guards in Canada your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back