Naturalization, Citizenship Dual-citizened Mohawk; Which passport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanowakeron

Me: Born June 1954 in Rochester NY to an unmarried Status Mohawk mother born in Canada. Immediately given up at birth for adoption and adopted by two US citizens and raised/lived all my life in the Rochester area. Found birthmother in 1991 and also discovered I was born a Canadian citizen (unmarried Canadian mother) as well as a US citizen (place of birth and adopted by US citizens) as well as a Status Mohawk of a Canadian reserve.

With the impending requirement for ALL border crossers to carry passports (I've crossed the border on average once every ten days since 1982) and given the sovereign nature of the Mohawk Nation... and just for argument's sake... would I be required to carry a U.S. passport which is tantamount to admitting to being a citizen of the United States?

If, for example, I were pressed to carry one country's passport of which I'm a 'citizen' and I grudgingly accepted I was a 'citizen' of Canada (actually, I'm quite proud of this fact), does the United States government have any right to force me to carry a U.S. passport which declares unequivocably that I'm a 'citizen' of the U.S.?

From http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html :

"Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship."

By saying 'Most U.S. citizens... must use a U.S. passport', the U.S. State Department is also saying 'Some U.S. citizens... don't have to use a U.S. passport'. Are the trans-border Iroquois people such as myself among those 'Some... don't' category? Can the U.S. force a sovereign people to declare they are 'citizens' against their will? Passports are based on citizenship, not residency. If the U.S. demands a passport be used to cross the border, could a dual-citizened Native of the First Nations be forced to declare they're a 'citizen' of the States and take a U.S. passport.... or would a Canadian passport satisfy the requirement?

Presently, I use my Canadian Native Status Card at the border and the new design is as secure as any document available. It's a thorny issue to be sure, and I'm quite certain there are going to be some First Nations people who balk at declaring themselves anything but 'citizens' of their respective Nation. The 1924 Indian Citizenship Act 'granted' U.S. citizenship to all U.S. born Native Americans... whether they wanted it or not... and some, including many in the Mohawk Nation, refuse to acknowledge this 'magnanimous' right.

As a 'citizen' of Canada, I have every right to carry a Canadian passport. Would non-Natives agree to declare themselves a 'citizen' of a foreign country simply as a matter of convenience? Do I apply for a Canadian or U.S. passport -- or both? Why should I be required to carry two passports when one serves the purpose of a secure document?

The BIA doesn't have a clue and tells me to check with the U.S. State Department... who, naturally, ignore the sovereignty concerns and insist on a U.S. passport.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back