Consumer Fraud Dry Cleaner - Unethical Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

imthird

Hoping this is the right category:

My friend in NJ had this happen to them.

Shortly after a washing machine broke in her home, she called a company called (removed name of co.), they came out and told her she needed to leave her property so they could assess damages and work on the problem.

Within an hour a dry cleaner from Warrington PA, called (removed name of cleaners) arrived at her home. The cleaner promptly took all the clothes in the basement and they were not even damaged!
The clothes were in water proof bags my friend put them in. The clothes were all dry cleaned previously and ready to wear.
My friend who was going through injuries sustained in a bad fall, did not react quick enough and she also thought these were ethical companies.

This dry cleaner sued my friend because they claim she owed them money for cleaning her clothes... What a joke!

To make matters worse, the dry cleaner delivered a package to this girl and it was not even her own clothes.
My friend has a 3 page list of what was taken and never returned. She had to pay the dry cleaner in order not to be sued and to remove a judgement against her.

This is a really crazy situation which definitely smells of fraud and deception.
It was (removed name of co.) that recommended and gave her the dry cleaner (removed name of cleaners).

Her attorney did hardly anything and told her to just sign the payment to the dry cleaners and let it go.

I believe she has some legal recourse but I don't know what to advise her, what she can do.

All advice is greatly appreciated....

David

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems she was sued by the cleaners for not paying for cleaning her clothes. (one place you say she was sued & another place she paid not to be sued - was she sued & they got a judgment against her & she paid judgment?) If she didn't get her clothes back (& they cleaned them when they didn't need cleaning), the only thing I know would be to sue the cleaners for the cost of her clothes & cleaning them. It might not be worth it. Since she has a lawyer, she should probably ask the lawyer her questions & follow his/her advice. I assume she returned the clothes that were not hers. Why will the dry cleaners not return her clothes now that she has paid for having them cleaned?

Betty, She paid for her clothes to be cleaned and also for Judgement.

Betty, she had a fair amount of clothes with a real value of $30,000. There are 3 pages she listed before this dry cleaner took them. What makes no sense is, they never returned HER clothes but they did
give her clothes that she couldn't even use, including men's clothes. (No men live there).

When she called them 3 weeks ago, they told her not to ever call!

Her lawyer didn't do anything but he was a friend and apparently not much of a lawyer.

Thank you,

David

It seems she was sued by the cleaners for not paying for cleaning her clothes. (one place you say she was sued & another place she paid not to be sued - was she sued & they got a judgment against her & she paid judgment?) If she didn't get her clothes back (& they cleaned them when they didn't need cleaning), the only thing I know would be to sue the cleaners for the cost of her clothes & cleaning them. It might not be worth it. Since she has a lawyer, she should probably ask the lawyer her questions & follow his/her advice. I assume she returned the clothes that were not hers. Why will the dry cleaners not return her clothes now that she has paid for having them cleaned?

I suggest you tell her to take all of her information to a couple attorneys in her county, discuss the incident, see what they say.

The initial consultation is normally at no charge.

If no lawyer shows an interest, or offers encouragemnt, she probably has a small or limited case.

She might try a different lawyer (or lawyers) & see what they say & go from there.

I thank you all for your advice and will give to my friend.

Very grateful for everyone who helped.

David

I don't think it needs to be said how foolish it was for her to relinquish control of all her assets without a whimper or complaint.

Disagreeable,

You are correct, however this happened very shortly after this girl fell 14 feet over a banister and was in very poor shape.

She told me she felt rushed and also trusted this company because of a recommendation. The Washing machine broke around 4 AM to make matters worse.

It is something most people would never make this type mistake when thinking normal but unfortunately she was not in her sound mind.

David

One thing - she is absolutely not going to get retail price for the lost clothing.

With a tiny few exceptions, clothes lose value faster than cars.

Proserpina,

She is more concerned with the sentimental value as a good deal of her clothes were 'vintage.'

In fact, much of the clothes were in protective bags so it makes it stranger that they were taken.

My friend told me the company (removed name of co.) told her she needed to leave her home and when she started
taking pictures they told her she was not allowed!

Personally, I believe they stole her clothes and didn't want her to have proof.

As I said and others here also mentioned, she was 'Not in her right mind.'

Very sad.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering but I wonder what they did with her clothes - did they lose them, are they going to sell them.......?

If they have the clothes, I don't understand why they will not give them back. She has now paid to have them cleaned. Bummer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back