Drug Testing by Public Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsBGirl63

My jurisdiction is: Mineral County, West Virginia

I am wondering if anyone knows if a School Board has the right to make a child (teen) take a drug test or counseling before returning to school after an expulsion for having drugs in school? The teen obviously deserved to be expelled, but was never drug tested at that time. Drugs were never found but he admitingly confessed that he had had them on his posession in the school. I personally don't believe they have the right to drug test him and believe it should be the responsibility of the parent. But I know I am not the law. The School Board also wants to have regular mandatory drug testing for all students. Any professional knowledge on this matter would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I see a good number of hits on this subject, but no replies. Is this a stupid question given the circumstances? To hard, not the correct catagory?

MsB - this is a very state specific and location specific question. You may want to consult with an attorney at your hometown who is very familiar with local school board laws and city laws. I would also check with the city council to see if they have any specific materials with information on this subject. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back