Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Drug arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thornton1186

Connecticut-- i know a person that got arrested for drug posession and paraphenalia.. He was arrested along with two other people. The driver apparently threw the marijuana along with paraphenalia after being pulled over for have a tail light out.. the police conducted a thorough search.. there were 6 police cars i think including a drug dog.. the police found about a gram of marijuana and a pipe scattered on the floor of the vehicle. The driver refused to take responsibility therefore all three people in the car got charged with drug and paraphenalia posession.. Later that month in court the driver of the vehicle plead quilty to marijuana posession and suffered a 1000 dollar fine.. The other 2 defendants were told by their lawyers that the charges would most likely be aquitted. Unfortunately the 2 defendants had prior drug offenses from a year or 2 past.. One of the defendants has a case pending and was given the community service labor program.. The court still wants him held accountable for being in the car even though he claims even now that he had no knowledge of the drugs being in the drivers posession. If he pleads guilty to marijuana he only faces a 150 dollar fine but that will jeaopardize his community service labor program.. the only other option is to bring it to trial which involves many fees and lossd wages.. if anyone has any feedback or case laws they could bring to my attention it would be helpful. thank you

What is your legal question for us?

i guess the question is.. what would be the best route to take if the defendant was unwilling to plead guilty? The defedant as a job off the books..could he apply for a public defender to bypass the astroomical lawyer fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back