Driving in Median/ No contest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhelton

GA, should I plead no contest to a citation for driving in the median? I have taken a driver education class, and plead not guilty so it going to a trial. I thought that the judge would reduce the points to zero, but the clerk has told me that I have to present the certificate for the class to Driver's Services.

Don't plead no contest to such a small charge. In Georgia you can only use the No contest plea once every 5 years. Don't waste it. Why did you go to driving school?

Isn't the 5 year rule different, like once for traffice, and once for misdemeanor felony?
I read the law that says that a judge can reduce the points and fine with driving school before the court date, but the judge didn't , he just let me plead not guilty, so I don't know if he will at the trail or if I just have to use the class certificate through drivers' services? Are you a lawyer?

I'm not a lawyer anymore, I repented and got out of it! It is true that the 5 year rule is for traffic only, but I wouldn't waste it anyway. You jumped the gun going to traffic school before you made a deal or before you were found guilty. Reduction of points is automatic if you go to driving school. But you can't use driving school to reduce points that you don't have yet.

You did right pleading not guilty. Go to the Solicitor with your driving certificate, ask that your charge be reduced to a "no-points" charge like failure to follow a traffic control device and see if they will agree to have your points further reduced by the traffic school. Plead guilty to the lowered charge, pay the fine and you will be done.

I think I may be willing to pay the $300 a lawyer will charge to go to court with me. I tried to make the deal but I had already taken the course because in the GA title code it says "when the course is taken before court">. So I don't even know if there is a solicitor for this. I think this city tries the cases without a prosecutor which I read is not really legal. But I think I just have to go to court now and try to talk to the judge. The public defender told me that they should dismiss it if I had taken the school, but now he won't answer my calls or return email because I haven't paid the $50 application fee to try to have him represent me.

$300 just seems to be a lot of money for a driving on a median charge. What is the fine? How many points does it carry?

I will never discourage getting an attorney though. More power to you. Good luck.

And then you are going to likely pay the $150. What are you trying to accomplish with the attorney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back