Drivers License suspension for no insurance

bessibell

This is sort of a long and complicated story, I'll try to be succinct.

We moved from Virginia to Pennsylvania in October of 2012. I transferred our auto insurance from PA to VA at that time. My husband got his PA drivers license in January of 2013.

In September of 2015 we moved from Pennsylvania to Florida. In trying to transfer our auto insurance, our insurance rep said that my husband did not have a valid drivers license. PA had "cancelled" it. My husband called the PA DMV and they said they cancelled it in April 2013 because VA had suspended it. Virginia suspended the license in March of 2013 for not having insurance.

We knew NOTHING about this until now.

We have proof that we have had continuous auto insurance since October 2012. Virginia will not remove the suspension because "it's in the system now."

My husband cannot get his license in Florida (and is uninsured) until we get this resolved.

What options do we have?

This is sort of a long and complicated story, I'll try to be succinct.

We moved from Virginia to Pennsylvania in October of 2012. I transferred our auto insurance from PA to VA at that time. My husband got his PA drivers license in January of 2013.

In September of 2015 we moved from Pennsylvania to Florida. In trying to transfer our auto insurance, our insurance rep said that my husband did not have a valid drivers license. PA had "cancelled" it. My husband called the PA DMV and they said they cancelled it in April 2013 because VA had suspended it. Virginia suspended the license in March of 2013 for not having insurance.

We knew NOTHING about this until now.

We have proof that we have had continuous auto insurance since October 2012. Virginia will not remove the suspension because "it's in the system now."

My husband cannot get his license in Florida (and is uninsured) until we get this resolved.

What options do we have?

Your hubby should contact the state that REVOKED him.
I suspect that is PA.
It could be VA.

If I recall correctly, the fee to reinstate in VA is only $145. The fee can be paid online.

I believe the PA fee is more, much, much more. -ABOUT $300-
Visit the PA DOT website and enter your:
Driver's license number.
Date of birth.
Social Security number (SSN).

See what PA and VA have to say about he can fix this problem.

He (maybe you) can educate each other about how this gets fixed in BOTH states:

He may obtain specific reinstatement requirements by requesting a personal Driver Transcript and a Compliance Summary.

Use these documents to assist in reinstating your driving privileges or while discussing your requirements with a DMV representative.

VA:
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Examples of requirements that may be satisfied without appearing in person at a DMV customer service center:
Provide proof that court fines and costs have been paid
Provide DMV with an SR22 or FR44 (Certification of Insurance) from an insurance company licensed to do business in Virginia
Attend a driver improvement clinic
Provide DMV with a medical and/or vision report from a physician, nurse practitioner, or physician's assistant
Provide proof of enrollment in, and completion of, the Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program (VASAP)
Complete an intervention interview with VASAP
Comply with child support orders issued by the Department of Social Services, Division of Child Support Enforcement
Provide proof that fees owed to the local correctional facility or regional jail have been satisfied
Provide DMV with requested motor vehicle insurance policy information
Provide DMV with proof of a judgment satisfied in full, payment agreement, creditor's consent, or bankruptcy filing
Pay DMV reinstatement fees that can range from $40.00 to $220.00, depending on the nature of the suspension or revocation
Pay any applicable licensing fees

PA:

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/D...ivers Manual By Chapter/English/chapter_4.pdf

DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE
According to Pennsylvania state law, you must maintain automobile liability insurance on your registered vehicle , if PENNDOT discovers a lapse your registration will be suspended for three (3) months.

In addition, if you operated or permitted the operation of your vehicle without insurance, your driving privilege will also be suspended for a period of three months.

To restore your driving privilege you must submit the following to PENNDOT:
Proof your vehicle is currently insured.
The required restoration fees.

He might need to engage the services of a PA and/or VA attorney.

Until he communicates DIRECTLY with the PA authorities, he'll never know how costly this will be.

In the interim, he shouldn't be driving.

If he gets popped in FL, it'll make this bad thing into a disastrous thing.

Agreed, army judge. He has been in contact with both. It's VA that is the issue. VA won't waive the fee even though we can prove that we have had continuous coverage. PA says that when VA reinstates, they will "un-cancel" his license. It's a $145 fee, I think. Which is cheaper than an attorney. And as long as PA doesn't want a fee too.

It just sucks that we're having to pay for it.

Agreed, army judge. He has been in contact with both. It's VA that is the issue. VA won't waive the fee even though we can prove that we have had continuous coverage. PA says that when VA reinstates, they will "un-cancel" his license. It's a $145 fee, I think. Which is cheaper than an attorney. And as long as PA doesn't want a fee too.

It just sucks that we're having to pay for it.

Pay them, because if he gets a traffic citation, it'll cost more,so much more!!

Thank you. We are paying the fee today, and have to wait for the USPS to get documents to FL from VA then back to PA from FL...lol.

But, it is being resolved. Apparently back in 2012 when I transferred my insurance, the insurance agency sent the wrong information to the DMV and said we were cancelling (not transferring) and the DMV took action.

And he's not allowed to drive.

Thank you. We are paying the fee today, and have to wait for the USPS to get documents to FL from VA then back to PA from FL...lol.

But, it is being resolved. Apparently back in 2012 when I transferred my insurance, the insurance agency sent the wrong information to the DMV and said we were cancelling (not transferring) and the DMV took action.

And he's not allowed to drive.

You're welcome.

For all of the old timers in the viewing audience:

The redoubtable Sgt Preston always closed his show by saying to his loyal husky, King, "Well, King, this case is closed!"

Enjoy:

Captain Midnight signed off with the code of the Secret Squadron "Justice through strength and courage. Out."

Yes he did, and along comes Kirk and his crew stealing the message transmission like this: Kirk out! Scotty out! Spock out!

My wife and I use the out tag in lieu of goodby. :)

And when she tells you what to do you respond with: "Roger, Wilco." ;)

Reminds me of the law firm of:

Rodger, Wilko, Ober and Oud.

When she starts telling me what to do, I pretend I'm Dagwood Bumstead. LOL

Yes dear, you're right dear, gotta run dear....LOL

Army Judge: I can't figure out how to send you a private message so I'll do it here. I wish you wouldn't so quick to close threads, like the following:

neighbours are making false complaints about smoke coming from my apartment what should i do

Yeah, we just do US law, but it ain't that tough to take a few seconds to look up stuff for our Northern neighbors. I found several sources in Canada for the guy that might be of help to him:

Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, Ontario

Landlord and Tenant Board | SJTO

Canadian Landlord and Tenant Information on CanLaw

Tenant Hotline | The Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations

Maybe he'll read this or maybe you can re-open the thread and post these resources for him.

Thanks.

Back