Driver right of way in both lanes, not responsible for turn signal intention

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam1

I was attempting to turn left into a four lane street from a parking lot driveway. The driver coming from my left in the lane closest to me was signaling to turn right into the driveway where I was exiting from. The next lane over was clear. So as I slowly moved forward into the street then looking if it was clear of traffic in the opposite direction we crashed in the next lane over. I was totally surprised as I hit the center of his vehicle on his passenger side as he was trying to avoid me. He apologized to me and said he just changed his mind. He didnt turn right as he signaled but changed over to the next lane and tried to go straight ahead instead. He told police officers there that it was his fault for the accident. His insurance company now says Im the one who is at fault(I couldnt believe it!) because he has the right of way. It didnt matter if he signaled to turn right or changed his mind. Does he still have the right of way if we crashed in lane that he was not originally driving in? Doesnt he only have the right of way in the lane he was drving in and not in the lane over too? How can a driver have the right of way in both lanes and not be responsible for the controls on his vehicle or drving in a such a careless manner? Thank you for any advice you can offer me as I was driving a company vehicle and it affects my job and commercial driving record.

Last edited:
You did not mention the state in which the accident occurred. In Texas vehicles in the street have the right of way over vehicles seeking to enter from private property regardless of the number of lanes. His turn signal makes no difference either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back