Drinking while serving alachol at work

Brian Stoiber

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I belong to a private athletic club that has a bar. I can't seem to find any information on IL law that states whether or not someone serving alachol can also be drinking? I would think not however I would really love the documentation to back that up.

Backstory: for-profit company owns the facility. The three owners are also club members. This is a sport that is known to have heavy drinking involved. Non-profit club rents facility from for-profit company who provides the facility, a stocked bar and manages the sale of alachol.

We had an issue this past weekend where a bartender from the for-profit company was drinking and was heavily intoxicated. They then proceeded to slap a club member. We are working with the clbu member that was slapped to determine how he would like us to proceed (as a board, we are only interestedin our member's safety in this case). Because we don't have control over how the for-profit comapny runs their business, I am hoping we can say, you cannot drink while working and this is the law that states it.

Why do you think there needs to be a law? YOU are the employer, YOU can make the rules.

I can't edits posts...

I see now that YOU don't provide the bartender. Please disregard my earlier post.

I can't find the law either. But keep in mind that Illinois has county-level (and maybe local) liquor laws as well.

I'd contact the IL Liquor Control Commission and ask. What We Do - About

Scroll to the bottom of that page for contact info.

Also, who holds the license the for-profit or the non-profit?

I belong to a private athletic club that has a bar. I can't seem to find any information on IL law that states whether or not someone serving alachol can also be drinking? I would think not however I would really love the documentation to back that up.

Backstory: for-profit company owns the facility. The three owners are also club members. This is a sport that is known to have heavy drinking involved. Non-profit club rents facility from for-profit company who provides the facility, a stocked bar and manages the sale of alachol.

We had an issue this past weekend where a bartender from the for-profit company was drinking and was heavily intoxicated. They then proceeded to slap a club member. We are working with the clbu member that was slapped to determine how he would like us to proceed (as a board, we are only interestedin our member's safety in this case). Because we don't have control over how the for-profit comapny runs their business, I am hoping we can say, you cannot drink while working and this is the law that states it.
Did you call the police for the assault committed?

I can't seem to find any information on IL law that states whether or not someone serving alachol can also be drinking? I would think not however I would really love the documentation to back that up.

I agree that it's unlikely that any such law exists but wonder what sort of "documentation" you think might "back that up." In other words, what "documentation" could possibly exist that a law doesn't exist?

We had an issue this past weekend where a bartender from the for-profit company was drinking and was heavily intoxicated. They then proceeded to slap a club member. We are working with the clbu member that was slapped to determine how he would like us to proceed (as a board, we are only interestedin our member's safety in this case).

I assume you're using "they" to refer to the bartender because you don't know the bartender's gender. In any event, if your only concern is with your club member's safety, then you have no concerns at all (unless you go back to that club or unless you think the bartender might actually seek out your club member, which, if it's a legitimate concern, is something that should be reported to the police). If your member wants to report the matter to the police and/or sue the bartender, that's up to him/her and isn't your problem.

I am hoping we can say, you cannot drink while working and this is the law that states it.

Even if there were such a law, what do you suppose this would accomplish? Obviously, employing a bartender who gets drunk on the job is a problem, but it's a customer relations matter, not a legal matter.

Back