Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Drinking over 18yrs old

Status
Not open for further replies.

blade99

Hello and Thanks in advance for your help.
Recently I was in debate with my neighbor friend and was discussing someone wo both know who is drinking at his home and under 21yrs old but over 18yrs old. I remembered a story I read on Comcast news home page where a 18yr old male was charged with underage drinking (don't remember what state) and his wealthy father pushed the matter in court and challenged the charges using the constitution. In TN, you must be 21yrs old to purchase alcohol, but become an adult at 18. The debate was, is he allowed to drink alcohol at 18yrs old? and does the law only state one must be 21 to purchase alcohol?

Thanks for your help because the debate continues and I want to make sure before I continue because they won the debate on whether or not it's legal to have passengers in the bed of a truck. My side of the story was, I was told by an officer friend of mine in 2001 that any passengers must have proper restraints, seatbelts. Since the bed of the truck does not have them, it is not lawfull to allow passengers to ride in the bed. I was proved wrong when we called the knox county police dept and was told that as long as the passenger is over the age of 12 and is sitting down, againgst the cab, it's OK.

Hello and Thanks in advance for your help.
Recently I was in debate with my neighbor friend and was discussing someone wo both know who is drinking at his home and under 21yrs old but over 18yrs old. I remembered a story I read on Comcast news home page where a 18yr old male was charged with underage drinking (don't remember what state) and his wealthy father pushed the matter in court and challenged the charges using the constitution. In TN, you must be 21yrs old to purchase alcohol, but become an adult at 18. The debate was, is he allowed to drink alcohol at 18yrs old? and does the law only state one must be 21 to purchase alcohol?

No one under the age of 21 may possess or consume alcohol in TN.

In TX, on the other hand, minors can consume alcohol if given to them by their parent, guardian, or spouse (above the age of 21).

You are correct.

In TN, you can't drink alcohol at 18, 19, or 20.
In TN, you must be 21.

In TX, by way of contrast, a parent could give alcohol to their child who happened to be 12 years old. The parent can not get their child drunk, but could let them drink alcohol.

Tennessee
- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to purchase, transport, or possess alcohol. Anyone under the age of 21 can not drive any motor vehicle with a BAC of .02 or higher.

http://www.youthrights.org/dastatelist.php

Texas
- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to purchase, posses, or consume alcohol. Possession and consumption of alcohol is legal for minors if under the supervision of a parent, guardian or spouse. Anyone under the age of 21 can not drive a motor vehicle with any traceable amounts of alcohol in the blood stream.

http://www.youthrights.org/dastatelist.php

Last edited:
If your friend is drinking this alcohol inside his residence he is likely doing so legally. His location at the time he drinks the alcohol is relevant, as well as how he obtained it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back