Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Drinking In Public summons in Asbury park, new jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruuuce

Hi all, new to the site, was hoping I could get some input on the following:

I received a summons for Drinking in Public in asbury park, NJ from asbury park PD.
Not much info given on the spot, but after calling about the ticket I was informed it was a $155 ticket and I could sign and mail the ticket with payment. If I did this, I would not have to return to asbury park for a municipal court date (I am out-of-state resident, so this sounded like a pretty convenient option).

My question is what effect will this have on my record? Kind of a dummy when it comes to the law as I've never been in trouble before, but am I correct to assume this doesn't give me a "criminal record"? don't particularly care about the money, its the fact that I'd like to keep my nose clean for future jobs, etc.

just for additional background on my case: I was drinking in a parking lot next to a concert venue prior to the concert. Which in the past I did not have any trouble with as long as 1) you are not falling over yourself drunk, and 2) not underage, and 3) drinking out of a cup rather than a bottle/can
I meet all the above, but I guess asbury pd are a bit stricter than other places in jersey.

anyways, I would appreciate any feedback and/or prior experiences with this. Basically I'd like to know if it has a serious effect on my permanent record, and if so do you think it would be worth taking the court date to see if I could possibly get it classified as a less serious offense that wouldn't have such an impact? And if I did go to court, is it possible that it would worsen my situation instead of better it?

Thanks for any help.

couple additional details

couple of more details in case it helps anyone provide a reply:

the violation: 3-1.1 (drinking in public)
county: Monmouth, NJ

The ticket looks like its referred to a "Complaint - Summons"

and it is handled by Municipal Court in the city of Asbury Park, NJ.

Payment would be sent to the asbury park violations bureau.

-After doing some research on this site and others, I am leaning towards just sucking it up and signing the "Appearance, Guilty Plea, and waiver" section and mailing in payment - can anyone confirm this is less serious than a misdemeanor, and is basically a pay-the-money-and-walk-away type offense?

thanks again - learned a lot just by reading others' posts

and for my final reply to myself.... =)

decided to pick up the phone and call someone in the know, and got all the answers i was looking for.

moderators, feel free to delete this thread if you like; no need for any additional replies.

best of luck to you all

Similiar issue...need clarifications

Hello
I am facing the same issue, drinking in public (New Jersey) and want to know how serious this charge is, does it effect future employment prospects, how long does it stay on the record. Is one better off paying the fine or is it worthwhile going to court in the hopes of getting it dropped.

Appreciate your time and thanks a lot.

Similiar issue...need clarifications

I got the public drinking ticket in Hudson County, Union City, New Jersey. It does not say whether it is an infraction or misdemeanour. The ticket says "Complaint-Summons". There is no statute, regulation or ordinance number in the ticket. The ticket is for 100.00 USD. Court Appearance Required is not checked.

Under the "Appearance, Guilty Plea and Waiver" the ticket states - "I understand that except for a parking offense, a record of this conviction will be sent to the DMV that issued my license"

I called the Court Office and they told me that this conviction (guilty plea and payment of fine) will not appear in background checks and that I can claim "No" criminal convictions in background checks forms for future employment.

I do beleive the court office but is there a way to verify this in some written form.

It will be great help and a lot of peace of mind if someone can clarify this.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back