Medical Malpractice dr. told me no expenses, then gives me the bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

at2009

During my first visit to a chiropractor, he went over my treatment plan and told me my insurance covered it all and I would have no out-of-pocket expenses. 9 months and 34 visits later, he told me I was responsible to pay all of the leftover amounts on my EOBs. He said I had a balance that I've not been paying on. He NEVER sent a bill, NEVER explained this to me, DID tell me I would have no out-of-pocket expenses and even reaffirmed this in our most recent conversation ('I know I said to not worry about the leftover amounts, but...'). I saw him for 9 months, 34 visits and my supposed balance is around $500. Should I see a lawyer? I planned on writing a letter to the doctor to see if we could somehow resolve this first.

I, personally, have never heard of going to a doctor without having out-of-pocket expenses.

Are you sure you understood him correctly?

Statements made by your chiropractor that your insurance will cover everything, are not binding on your insurance company. THEY say what is covered and what is not, not your doctor.

Contrary to popular belief, it is YOUR responsibility, not that of your doctor, to contact the insurance company and find out what is covered and what is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back