Assault & Battery Domestic Abuse In Council Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydma

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm in search of urgent legal advice regarding my situation. For the last 3 years I have been officially living with my partner and children in a council home. For 11 years (since I've known her) I have suffered financial, emotional and mental abuse to the point where most family and friends have been turned against, she spread lies, rumours and deceit, committed sexual misconduct and infidelity and worst of all mental abuse. Whenever I asked her for money or tried to have a say in the relationship she would say she wanted me out and then when I looked for a place she would tell me to get out now today because I was looking for somewhere when that's what she wanted. She would do everything she could to manipulate me into staying.

Now we have split up the relationship but I remain in the house (council) for now. She's saying she wants me to move out and claims that she has spoken to the council who are supposed to have said to her that the tenancy agreement is in her name and that I am just down as living with her and therefore she can kick me out whenever she wants. However, I have no friends and family to turn to because of her, no money to even make a phone call or get a bus because of her and she often goes out leaving me in the house without a key so that I can't go anywhere. If I go out when she is there then she locks me out and throws all my belongings outside knowing that I have nowhere to go. She says that she has told the council that we have seperated and that they said I have to move out and make a new claim for benefits.

I am on medication because of the depression and I reported the domestic abuse to my doctor in 2008. He has now referred me to a counseller to help me deal with it and says I cannot work until I'm back to my normal self. Even at times when we were not together she still continued to harass me by destroying my relationships with other people and still spreading lies and rumours. I want to leave the relationship because of the abuse but on the other hand I am concerned for the welfare of my children and am worried about what might happen if I'm not there. It seems like the only solution I have is to cut off all contact but the fact that children are involved prevents me from doing so. If I leave then I would be homeless and with my current medical situation (depression and anxiety) there's no way I could handle being in shared accommodation or a hostel. Over the years she turned her family members and friends against me and I now find it extremely difficult to trust anybody.

I am in UK and basically need to know what my rights are. I have been told that the Family Law Act 1996 comes into it (we are not married) and maybe even the Chilrens Act 1989. And also is there any way of protecting my belongings and stopping her from throwing them out in the street? Can she legally kick me out of the house with nowhere to go when I'm suffering bad mental health because of the domestic abuse? Please help, any advice is greatly appreciated. My doctor advised me to speak to Citizens Advice Bureau but I have no access to telephone or money and have to travel everywhere on foot and cannot book an appointment so I now have to wait until they are open next.

Contact the police. They can get you help, if you are the victim of this alleged domestic abuse. They can also deal with the alleged batterer.

Just to clarify, I haven't been battered physically (also I am male). The abuse is emotional, mental and financial. The police can't really do anything, there's not much physical evidence except for my medical records and possibly children as witnesses. She claims that the council told her she can phone the police and have me removed from the property at any time. If she is to be believed then it seems that everyone is against me on this which is really bad.

Also I am in UK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back